PG Alerts stop app launches till dismissed

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Desh, May 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Desh

Desh Registered Member

Hi,
    I've got a problem that is about to stop me from using PG. I've found that PG confirmation alerts, for things like MS updates, etc, are stopping "allowed" executables from launching until the PG alert has been dismissed. In particular,the following happens to me on a weekly basis.

2 or 3am rolls around and my XP server connects to get the latest Windows updates. For whatever reason, PG thinks this is a new executable and pops up it's alert asking me if I give Update permission to run. Since I'm sound asleep, I don't see this alert for another 6 hours.

In the mean time, my mail server continues to get mail and I run NOD32 from the command line to scan each incoming delivery. However, because PG is waiting for a response to another process, all NOD32 launches are queued up.

When I finally get to click OK to the blocking dialog, I'm flooded with NOD32 starts. NOD32 and my mail server (Merak) don't handle this well, and NOD32 will crash and I get numerous duplicate emails.

Is there any way to fix this? Why is an unrelated process launch blocked due to this dialog?

2. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

This is due to design constraints.

A workaround is to set Automatic Updates to prompt before installing or even downloading updates. Download it when you are ready, disable PG and then install it. Updates should be installed with PG disabled anyway, for best effect.

Learning Mode and reboot if asked. I often reboot once in Learning Mode since XP boots so fast anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.