PG acting oddly

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Shelb, Jan 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shelb

Shelb Registered Member

Hi,
    Over the past few hours, I have been experiencing some strange behavior from Process Guard.

-First, I receive an error message stating that PG fails to attach the Kernal driver. A reinstall of the program doesn't seem to help. I have read in previous threads about this issue and realize a fix is on the way. I mention it because it may be related to the next issue I am dealing with.

-Secondly, several of my program icons have disappeared from the system tray.
    Namely: PG, TDS, SpywareGuard, and NOD32. I am unsure if this is related, but I have been unable to resolve the problem with subseqent restarts. Any ideas what may be causing this behavior? I haven't installed anything recently and everything (including PG) was operating great yesterday.

Thanks,
    Shelby

2. Shelb

Shelb Registered Member

Also forgot to mention that I can usually get PG to operate and the icons to return by closing and restarting them.

3. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Shelb - When PG fails to start and you close the error message - do you wait a few seconds and try to start it manually from Start/Programs menu?

I generally find that (for me at least) PG only fails to start when it's bumping heads with something else that's trying to start at the same time. That's why I've gone to just letting the absolutely must-haves start at start-up.

I'd take TDS out of your start-up, to begin with - then re-start. IF PG fails to come up correctly, try re-starting after closing the error message.

If it starts correctly then, re-start again. It should come up correctly thereafter - at least for awhile.

My way is to start the computer, then start TDS, check it for updates - then check my email, open my browser, etc.

Hopefully that'll work for you, too. Pete

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Shelb, Spy1 is correct that there can be driver contention at startup in V1.150.
    Providing you enabled protection in procguard.exe you are protected as procguard.sys (the driver) & pg_msgprot will shoud be running after a re-boot.

So basically procguard,exe is just the control panel for the driver and only needs to be running when you want to change listed program attributes such as block and allow or new additions.

I am currently testing PG V1.200 beta which, so far, does not suffer from these contentions & adds new features including protection against SetWindowsHookEx.

HTH Pilli

5. Shelb

Shelb Registered Member

Spy1 & Pilli,
    Although it hasn't happened in the past, TDS seems to be butting heads with PG in the process of booting. Removing TDS from the boot sequence will suffice until PG 1.2 is released.
    Thanks!
    Shelby

6. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Shelb, Running XP I find it better to start TDS3 manually but many do start sutomatically :)
    I can report that during the latest phase of beta testing V1.22, there have been no driver contention issues raised :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.