PG 2.5 or 3.0

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by richrf, Oct 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Guys,

I have a nasty little bugger on my system that seems to be able to start-up defrag.exe, which in turn consumes about 98% of my resources. This may be a trojan/virus or something may be set wrong on my system. I don't know. Any hints on trapping this bugger would be appreciated.

At this time, I am going to try to trap the event with PG 2.5 (free) unless you guys think 3.0 is stable enough. I will purchase 3.0 as soon as I am told it is good enough to run on my system and trap these kind of issues. I am I licensed user of most of diamondcs products running on my maching (TDS-3, Port Explorer, Wormguard, RegProt) so I am confident when you guys tell me that 3.0 is ready, I will purchase. Thanks.

Rich

2. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, richrf

No anything to worry about:- #15 or :- #2
    Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

3. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi TheQuest,

Thanks for the links. I sort of understand, but I would like to be clear, so if you (or anyone else) can clarify, I would very much appreciate it:

1) Defrag began running this morning, on its own, and was consuming 98% of my resources. There was no way to shut it down.

2) Afterwards, I ran Defrag analysis and it reported that Defrag was not required.

3) After this, Defrag again started up on its own, and I killed it using SSM.

4) I then installed PG and began monitoring. So far, nothing has happened.

So my questions are: (and I hope I am not overstaying my welcome on PG):

1) Should Defrag be consuming 98% of resources, if I am working on my system?

2) Why did Defrag start-up if it reported when I ran analysis that everything was O.K?

3) If there is a problem, is PG a good way to attach it, or should I be approaching the problem differently.

One thing is for sure, I am sure glad that PG is around. Otherwise, I wouldn't know where to start. :) Thanks diamondcs for PG and you can be sure you will have another PG customer shortly!

BTW, Port Explorer is a great piece of program. I am often alerted by TrojanHunter that a suspected port is open and I am glad that I have Port Explorer to verify that all is O.K. Thanks for a great set of products.

Rich

4. TheQuest

Hi, richrf

No you are not. :)

Yes 98 0r 100% is not unusual when defragmenting.

Defrag Analysis will nearly always say defrag is not required, unless you partition is about 80-90% defragmented.

What does defrag look like after analysis is there a lot a red [defragmented
    files].

That hard to say, because if your Partition are badly defragmented, it is best to defrag them although the defrag analysis might say it is not need.

And then when done keep an eye on it, to see it it keep starting or not

Take Care,

5. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi TheQuest,

Thanks a lot. All is clear. I will watch and see.

Have a great day!

Rich

6. TheQuest

Hi, richrf

And you Rich

Take Care,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.