pg 2.0 and task manager

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by the mul, Mar 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the mul

the mul Registered Member

I was wondering if anyone can tell the proper set up of task manager in the programme protection list.
    I had it set up on pg 1.3 after some advise from pilli, but had to totally remove all of pg except my key file before i could install pg2.0 properly without reboot error, now everything is ok and all programmes are protected except for task manager can u give me some advise as to the set up.

Thanks

The Mul

2. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

In my list, the taskmanager has ALL block, and has the following allowances : READ, GET INFO, TERMINATE

because I want to be able to terminate myself my programs (when they bug)

No allowances given in Options.

However, it's just personal choice, i'm sure someone else could prefer to not add the TERMINATE allowance, but if the task manager is protected, it can't be use by a malware.

3. linney

linney Registered Member

From the Help file -

"Allowed vs. Blocked

Process Guard allows you to grant processes access to certain privileges (Allowed privileges), as well as deny access (Blocked privileges). As an example, you may want to allow Windows Task Manager to be able to terminate processes, so you would add the Terminate privilege to the Allowed privileges for taskmgr.exe. However, you don't want a trojan to be able to inject code into the Task Manager process, so it's a good idea to add Write, Terminate, Suspend and SetInfo privileges to the Blocked privileges list of taskmgr.exe. Now, Task Manager can terminate processes, but it's secure against being hijacked."

4. the mul

the mul Registered Member

Thanks for all your advise on this matter and I have taken on board what u are saying, but at the moment i only have all the blocked privileges checked, and with your help now if I need to use task manager in the future to terminate a programme myself, I will add terminate to the allow privileges.

Thanks for your help and have a nice weekend.

The Mul :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.