PFI corrupt using backup script

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by dkump, Jul 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dkump

dkump Registered Member

I submitted a ticket to Paragon and don't have a response yet, but I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone else has seen this problem. I create a full backup with BR12 using a script. It ends successfully with no errors. When I try to restore or validate the archive selecting the PFI file, I got the error:
    "The wizard could not open the archive. The following error had occurred: Can't open/create file."
    I start the wizard, filter for archive files, browse for my archive, and select the PFI file. I found if I filter for all archive files and select the PBF file, then I don't get an error. What's also interesting is I'm able to select/open a PFI file from a backup I ran interactively, but consistently get this error if the backup was done using a script. As far as I can tell, the parameters for the backups are the same, just one is interactive and the other is using the script. I can consistently reproduce this. I'm not sure what the PFI is used for. I'm worried my backups are corrupt when using a script and won't be able to restore something in the future. Has anyone else seen this?

2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

You must select the PBF file, not the PFI.
    Neither am I, but I think it´s an index file that it´s used in file restores.

3. wptski

wptski Registered Member

What happened here? Earlier versions you just selected the archive folder and that was it but now we must open the folder to pick a file.

4. dkump

dkump Registered Member

I figured out my problem. I was testing a script which would run a full backup to the same folder each time. To avoid overwriting my backups, I would rename the folder when the backup completed. This caused the error in the restore. The PFI file has hard-coded paths to the PBF file. When I renamed my backup folder, the PFI file now had paths to a folder that didn't exist. Since the PFI and PBF files are in the same folder, I assumed it had relative paths. I guess you can't rename your folders after doing a backup.

I also found that the img statement in the script has to be before the select disk/partition statements. I had problems where the backup wouldn't run if the img statement was after the select statements. It didn't generate any errors. It just didn't backup anything. Here's the order it needs to be:

img = "F:/Path/Backupname_$(YEAR)_$(MONTH)$(DAY).pbf"
    select disk 0
    select partitions all

Hope this helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.