Petya Ransomware infects MBR

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by stapp, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

HIPS should protect against process hollowing and low level disk access, I assume that Comodo does this in paranoid mode, what type of alerts do you get to see?

2. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Yes, it does on Paranoid Mode.

I can't remember most of the alerts, but some were related to cmd.exe, svchost, Bootsec.exe, and so on. Really freaky :doubt:

3. itman

itman Registered Member

Reportedly, Petya is still distributed via email. Victims would receive an email tailored to look and read like a business-related missive from an “applicant” seeking a position in a company. It would present users with a hyperlink to a Dropbox storage location, which supposedly would let the user download said applicant’s curriculum vitae (CV).

In one of the samples we analyzed, the Dropbox folder the link points contains two files: a self-extracting executable file, which purports to be the CV, and the applicant’s photo. Further digging revealed that the photo is a stock image that is most likely used without permission from the photographer.

http://blog.trendmicro.com/trendlabs-security-intelligence/files/2016/03/petya_archive.jpg

Figure 2. Contents of the Dropbox folder

Of course, the file downloaded isn’t actually a resume at all, but rather a self-extracting executable file which would then unleash a Trojan onto the system. The Trojan then blinds any antivirus programs installed before downloading (and executing) the Petya ransomware.

Ref.: http://blog.trendmicro.com/trendlab...nsomware-overwrites-mbr-lock-users-computers/

4. itman

itman Registered Member

Cruelsister published a Utube video where he tested HMPA, MBAR, and WAR. Only WAR was able to stop Petya. Whereas, most conventional security solutions would have detected the dropper by reputation upon execution even before signatures that now exist for the dropper would have detected it.

Petya's weakness is there is nothing especially slealthy about the dropper download.

5. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

6. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

Itman- The file that I tested against was the dropped file. It is stealthy in that numerous variants have made their appearance over the past few days tinkered with slightly to make them zero-day, so they have (and will) bypass traditional AV solutions.

As I was wondering about a topic for this week's video, perhaps AVAST will go up against one of the newer Petya files (and if I can't find one, it's fairly simple to make one). But please don't diminish the nastiness of this ransomware- unlike some will have you believe, post-infection remediation is not a trivial matter at all.

7. SIR****TMG

SIR****TMG Registered Member

Well stated cruelsister

8. itman

itman Registered Member

Test Eset and Emsisoft against Petya. Both have rep scanners that should stop the .exe dropper from running. Of course you would have to find a variant for which they don't already have a sig for. But I believe the rep scanning would be done before the AV sig check.

9. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

I don't want to run ESET again as I just did so a about 10 days ago with Winlocky. And it's not so much an issue of finding a new variant as one can be produced in less than a minute.

10. Rasheed187

11. itman

itman Registered Member

12. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

I use Ubuntu 14.04.4 AMD64 on my SSD as OS drive; use a 750GB HDD encrypted with Linux LUKS EXT4 as data drive. Guess no ransomware will work on my setup, lol

13. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

Not this one but there is Linux ransomware.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux.Encoder.1

There are also other forms of Malware that can affect Linux. It is less common than in Windows but it does happen. Linux is huge in the backend of the web and the internet of things and there are many desirable targets for cyber criminals and malware. A quick google search will give you lots of examples.

14. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

Thank you. However it's really minor as compared to Windows Ransomwares. Only about 2000 computers were infected, and the fix was issued in April 2015. So if people run their Linux system up to date, then no worries. Plus, my actual data HDD is full disk encrypted, it should be safer.

15. Rasheed187

Isn't that a no brainer? Without admin rights you can't modify the MBR. :D

16. itman

itman Registered Member

If the dropper can't run, no other elements of the malware can be installed. Once the dropper runs, it will then proceed to overwrite the MBR and force a blue screen. Upon the OS restart is when the encryption occurs.

As I stated previously, any AV that does reputation scanning should have also caught the dropper at startup time and alerted. It would have most likely quarantined the dropper at that time without further user interaction. I assume the same result would have occurred for anyone using anti-exec software.

What has yet to be fully explained is where the dropper was downloaded to. I am assuming to the usual place where ransomware downloads; e.g. %AppData% directories.

17. Rasheed187

It was a joke itman, I mean you was clearly stating the obvious. Of course when you don't allow it to execute via either UAC or anti-exe, it won't work.

18. MisterB

The dropper would be stopped by ACLs set to only allow execution in the Windows and Program Files directory, SRP or Applocker set to the same without any 3rd party software. That assumes that the email attachment was actually downloaded and run. That is the best defense of all, once again common sense. This one is actually pretty lame. The only place where it is clever is in obfuscating the dropper code, otherwise it is easily foiled and even a fully infected system can have its data recovered with common data recovery tools although it is a pain to spend hours scanning a disk for files.

19. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

I moved to GPT last month, and I'm not looking forward to go back to MBR.I thought it would be hard to make the move, but Arch Linux and cryptsetup didn't complain at all.

Too bad Windows users still don't have a good encryption option if they use GPT, because TrueCrypt and VeraCrypt don't support it AFAIK.

20. MisterB

MBR infections are pretty old school anyway and easily removed even if you use mbr systems. There is not much the 512 byte mbr does except jump to the boot sector of the boot partition and there isn't much an infected mbr can do other than jump to more code.

21. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Yes, but this malware isn't about the mbr. After over writing the mbr, the system is rebooted, and then the mbr code encrypts the MFT. That's it's killer. In fact unless you have a full image to restore, fixing the mbr, and ruin any chance of the fixing the ransonware damage.

22. Sampei Nihira

Sampei Nihira Registered Member

Petya is unsigned.
    The Ransomware is stopped by the change to the register key:

a) "Validate Admin Code signatures" set to 1.

Is good to also use the prevention tip:

b) Turn off automatic restart after a system failure.

23. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Which is a terrible thing, as @Peter2150 pointed out :p

24. MisterB

One could easily image the mbr of the infected system. In fact, what I would do with such a system is to image the whole disk and then try to recover files. Nothing personal to me either, that is just standard data recovery procedure. That way, if you make a mistake, you just start over with a clean image.

As I said, this one is pretty lame as ransomware goes. It does something that is really fast, encrypt the mft but that still leaves the file system in a recoverable state. I find ransomware that can run from a standard account without activating any UAC prompts and completely encrypt that users files to be something a bit more to worry about.

25. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Oh, nasty, just plain nasty.

@Peter2150 Overtures of the ole notorious and dreaded KillDisk? Remember?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.