Pest Patrol

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Zee59, Nov 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zee59

Zee59 Registered Member

Hi: I have Adaware 1.05 pro and SpyBot S&D 1.3 installed along with Pest Patrol.
    My question is every time I scan with Pest Patrol I seem to get alot of False Positives and the files it says to delete are ligit windows files or program files from other software.Now that CA has broght Pest Patrol I got an E Mail asking if I want to upgrade to the newest version for the $19.99 price now.So is it worth it? or Can I get by with the Adaware and SpyBot S&D or is there another one out there that is good.
    Thanks.

2. gre87y

gre87y Registered Member

You may want to look at Giant Antispyware to go along with adaware and spybot. I agree with you I think Pest Patrol has way to many false positives.

3. greatwhite

greatwhite Guest

I agree Giant is a good replacement for Pest Patrol, though it will cost you more than PP. Also SpySweeper is a good program, may be somewhat cheaper than Giant.

4. kevm

kevm Registered Member

I have version 5 and the false positives seem to be endless. With the latest detection strings, it is calling the entire norton antivirus quarantine folder as an unknown pest.

What I am not sure of is if some of these false posititives may come from an interraction with another program such as spyware blaster. I have posted a question to this forum regarding that possibility.

I basically use PP5 for its resident protection only. I NEVER and I mean NEVER delete anything based solely on PP5's detection and I honestly from my experience and in my opinion do not think it is wise to do so.

5. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

I can help a little. I ran Pestpatrol up until recently. I have had Spy Sweeper for a year and it is really good. I quit using Pestpatrol because of the false positives. I now just run Spybot, Adaware and Spy Sweeper. Also use Prevx which I really like.

6. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

Spyware blaster is good to add to ones security. I no longer use pestpatrol ( for the above reasons) I only run with Adaware SE and spyware blaster and thats fine for me.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2004
  7. Zzee59

Zzee59 Guest

I updated my Pest Patrol current version yesterday and for the first time it found a couple of items that were not false positives and that Adaware and Spybot missed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.