Pest Patrol reports "Advanced keylogger"

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by simonh, Feb 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. simonh

simonh Registered Member

After I subscribed to Spywareblaster's automatic update, Pest Patrol began to report the presence of "Advanced keylogger," evidenced by two registry entries in hkey_local_machine/software/licenses. These keys are identical to those that identify Advanced keylogger to Pest Patrol. Although Pest Patrol deleted the entries, they were re-written to the registry on each startup. Inactivating Spywareblaster's automatic update did not solve the problem, but I verified the cause by removing Spywareblaster. I then re-installed Spywareblaster and added Advanced keylogger to Pest Patrol's ignore list.

This should be of interest to any user of both Spywareblaster's automatic update and Pest Patrol.

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Re: Auto update causes false spyware report

If Pest Patrol is reporting K7C0DB872A3F777CO as the license number....those are False positives being reported by Pest Patrol of valid entries placed in the registry by Spywareblaster. Hopefully after enough Pest Patrol users report this to PP they will eventually fix these False positives.

Recent Wilders threads:

3. simonh

simonh Registered Member

Bubba -

That is one of the key values. The other one is identical, except for the first character, which is "r". If these are deleted, both are entered into the registry at start-up.

4. norton

norton Registered Member

FYI - The keylogger problem is not limited to autoupdate - manual update results in a report too - Also - it is not limited to Pest Patrol - I'm using SpywareXterminator and am getting the same problem. I did the same thing (delete and re-install) to confirm - it seems maybe it is the license imprint if both programs are reporting a problem...

5. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

If that one is R7C0DB872A3F777C0....it's also associated with Javacool Software in respects to it's EULAyzer program.

Very true....any time the Spywareblaster program is open it checks to see if that entry is present....if not it creates that key.

6. norton

norton Registered Member

And the point/solution is? It seems all this started with the new version/update. So perhaps it is the Spyblaster program which needs tweaking?

7. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

No....those reg keys have been present as far back as I can remember.
    What actually needs to be tweaked once again is PP's False positives.

8. simonh

simonh Registered Member

Bubba -

I attributed the false report of Advanced keylogger to my having registered auto update because I had been running both Sypwareblaster and Pest Patrol without any such report until I registered for auto update.

Norton didn't get any such report until the new version of Spywareblaster was released.

It's possible that Pest Patrol modified their spyware-definition file at about the same time that your released 3.5.1 and I registered for auto update. The definitions on their web site are not dated, but the page describing Advanced keylogger is dated February 2006.

9. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I am not knowledgeable of their time frame but there are numerous threads across the net with this particular False positive by Pest Patrol. Since I am not a user of PP I can not confirm this but I read in one thread where the latest PP database update cleared this particular False postive along with a few others concerning valid IE Restricted Zone entries placed there by known good programs.

10. simonh

simonh Registered Member

Thanks, Bubba. I removed Advanced keylogger from PP's exclusion list and it no longer generates this false positive.

Before posting to this forum, I discussed this issue with a PP tech-support guy (in Madras) and he said he would write a memo for their knowledge base. Apparently, somebody paid attention.

11. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Just used pest patrol for the first time today. (I also have ewido and spywareblaster etc.)
    It has said I have an unknown trojan in hklm\software\microsft\windows\currentversion\run. I have looked in the reg, a very scary place, and the only things I can see at that address are IMAIL,MAPI,and MSFS.
    Can someone give me some advice. In easy to follow steps please!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.