Pest Patrol has False Positive

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Beefcarver, Apr 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beefcarver

Beefcarver Registered Member

Pest Patrol found websearch Toolbar but is a kill bit for spybot.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\internet explorer\active x
    compatibility\ {8952a998-1e7e-4716-b23d-3dbe03910972}

2. Beefcarver

Beefcarver Registered Member

After reviewing the problem further it appears to be a spywareblaster protection. after Pest Patrol removes it spywareblaster says 1 item has been disabled. Im gonna set up Pest Patrol to ignore it.

3. dog

dog Guest

Hi Beefcarver, ;)

That's right. ;)

Another way to quickly check to see if something is in the SB database, is to open SB, as this is an ActiveX control, select the IE tab under protection on the main GUI, right-click in the Block List and select Find, and C&P (or type it directly, but a C&P would be preferred as a typo would either lead to a false result or No result) the CLSID into the field and select OK. To which as you've already discovered is a control for Huntbar variant.

Steve

4. PhiloVance

PhiloVance Registered Member

Curious I just got some spam for this product: Pest Patrol. Reason being I have CA eTrust AV, which I like quite well, however, from reading this and other comments around this forum I think I'll opt to not get it. I have Spywareblaster, and run Spybot S&D and Adaware regularly, so it seems like overkill.

Anyone have anything positive to say about Pest Patrol?

5. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi,

Yep, last time I checked with PP (still using the original version on-demand on my W98SE machine) on 6-May-2005, I got the same:

===
    Pest: WebSearch Toolbar
    Pest Info: Category: Hijacker
    Author: [WebSearch.com]
    Release Date: 4/19/2005 0:00:00
    Background Info: Click here
    File Info: In Registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\internet explorer\activex compatibility\{8952a998-1e7e-4716-b23d-3dbe03910972}
    Certainty: Confirmed
    Threatens: Liability
    Risk: Low.
    Advice: Delete or ignore
    Action: Ignored
    ===

What I absolutely don't like, is this FP:

===
    Pest: Unknown Dialer
    Pest Info: Category: Dialer
    Author: Various
    Release Date: 9/18/2003 0:00:00
    Background Info: Click here
    File Info: In File: C:\WINDOWS\SCANREGW.EXE
    PVT: -2011596232
    MD5: 197de4470e262d1f86fb088949c0386a
    Date: 05-05-1999 22:22:00
    File Analysis: Look up with MD5 (recommended) or PVT.
    Certainty: Suspected
    Threatens: Liability
    Risk: Moderate - this file can be executed!
    Advice: Delete
    Action: Ignored
    ===

Well, I haven't checked recently whether those FP's have been fixed.

Yep, in the old days I liked the emails with David and in particulary I loved the emails with Shirley (PP has been sold to CA some time ago).
    Dear Shirley,
    If you happen to read this:
    ALL my best wishes, {{hugs}}
    Most warmest regards, Jan.

6. Hard Rocker

Hard Rocker Registered Member

Hi, :rolleyes:

Pest Patrol is detecting the same Websearch Toolbar F/P on my PC as well. I am using the CA 5.0 version & I'm NOT at all happy with the program. At the time when I purchased PP I did not know very much about antispyware software.

Since that time & since joining Wilders I now know enough to realize that I won't be renewing with Pest Patrol .... aka .... The King of False Positives any time soon. In all honesty, I do not have confidence in the validity of PP detections at all anymore. At one point my Firefox Browser was wiped out when the program detected the Silver Skin Theme as malware & removing it caused all of the drop down boxes within Firefox to appear black !! :mad:

Websearch Toolbar is now on the exclusions list along with another recent PP detection called Netzip.

HR :cool:

7. mr.privacy

mr.privacy Guest

I have Pest Patrol version 4 and I also am getting the Websearch Toolbar false positive detection. I am not getting that Unknown Dialer detection that FanJ posted about. But then I am using Win xp, perhaps that makes a difference.

I still think Pest Patrol is a very helpful program to have. I find it very useful for crosschecking with other antispyware scanners. The thing to remember is don't just automatically delete everything you find with PP. Quarantine it first, then crosscheck with other scanners to see if they find anything. Then ask about the detection on a forum like this. Also I would recommend to wait before you delete anything to see if any problems occur with any of your other apps. I would still ask about the detection regardless of what else you may do.

Pest Patrol version 5 does still allow you to quarantine a detection before you actually delete it, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.