Pest Patrol by Computer Associates

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by marcromero, Sep 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marcromero

marcromero Guest

Does anyone know what the latest version/build is ? Thanks.

Marc

2. trjam

trjam Registered Member

It doesnt show it in their newset release as you know but the hat gave it away in one area. It still scanned quickly but with no results, so it is still Pest Patrol which runs in the upper ecelon, say around 9th or 10th place for antispyware.

3. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Removed posts concerning strictly "Google is your friend" and as a reminder that support is what Wilderssecurity is for....not suggesting folks search for it.

Bubba

4. smith2006

smith2006 Registered Member

Here is what my copy has shown:

Edit: I have just logged on to my eTrust member account & found out that PestPatrol Release 8 is available as a free upgrade.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2006
  5. smith2006

Marc,

I have installed the upgrade, It is confirmed the latest is 8.0.0.6.

6. marcromero

marcromero Guest

Thanks smith2006, I think I'm going to give it a try shortly. How's the upgrade look ? Running ok ? Appreciate the information.

Marc

7. smith2006

Hello Marc,

I have uninstalled the new upgrade & used backed Version 5.0.1.6 instead.

The new "eTrust Internet Security Suite" interface doesn't suit my taste, I still prefer it to be a stand alone.

I wonder what is the different between Version 8.0.0.6 & Version 5.0.1.6? They share these common version no -

SDK Version: 5.6.8.13

PPFILE.DAT Version: 9/15/2006-7:09:24 PM

PPINFO.DAT Version: 9/15/2006-7:09:24 PM

PPLOC.DAT Version: 9/15/2006-7:09:24 PM

Cheers
    Smith

8. smith2006

9. marcromero

marcromero Guest

I am currently only using EZ Antivius, but it installed the security center dashboard also, which list their other three products as not installed, I don't use the seurity center as I currently only have the av product installed and use it's GUI when I need to access features. The security center is a nice concept if you install some of their other products for centralized access. It's not a big deal to me, it sits harmlessly in my tray, there if I need it.

Marc

10. marcromero

marcromero Guest

smith2006, I think all of their latest product downloads now include the security center dashboard with the download. Atleast, thats the way it appears to me, a good concept in my opinion, if you plan on adding any additonal protection, like pest patrol or their firewall, you will have a centralized management capability.

Marc

11. smith2006

Thanks, I prefer not to put all eggs into one basket. :D

I purchase my security softwares as separate stand alone - NOD32, Outpost, PestPatrol etc.

Smith

12. marcromero

marcromero Guest

Your welcome, but I was not suggesting you put all your eggs in one basket, I was just stating, that I think no matter which one of their softwares you may choose to use, it comes with that security dashboard as part of the download. Some people will not like that, as for me, I only use their antivirus and the security center dashboard icon in the task bar that came with the download doesn't bother me personally.

Marc

13. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

That's what I wondered too.

I tied to call the PestPatrol (PP) folks to see if there was a big difference from version 5 to version 8 or if PP version 8 is a significant improvement over version 5.

What a joke. First, their website should include information on new features or improvements of the product. It appears from the website that they are only interested in selling more new copies to people.

Next, I tried to call. Of course, they want about $30 for the privilege of talking to them. I finally reached somebody somewhere, and he stated that the "guts of all the PestPatrol versions are the same."

Which begs the question..... will this product ever evolve and improve?

Seems to me that everybody else is moving forward. Is PP stuck?

Historically (used in a short term relative sense), PP has been good for me. It has found and removed things that other products did not. Additionally, from my experience, the FP issues are overstated and largely corrected.

So what gives with this company and this product? Is a company like CA inevitably going to dumb down a product like Microsoft did to Giant, and like Grisoft may be doing to Ewido?

14. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

I believe Yahoo Antispy is Pest Patrol. I had it with the tool bar for awhile, and it was a fast scan. Maybe it was a slimmed down version of some sort.

15. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

Supposedly, the Yahoo AntiSpy tool associated with the Yahoo toolbar is not PestPatrol, but used some of the definitions from PestPatrol.

I used both, and I noticed that each occasionally found things the other did not. Of course, since the Yahoo AS was driven by PestPatrol signatures, it’s hard to understand how Yahoo AS could find something that PP would not. But that happened several times.

When I recently updated my Yahoo toolbar, I noticed that the Yahoo AS disappeared that that a Norton AntiSpy check button replaced it. But I could not get the Norton AntiSpy to work…and I never could find info at Yahoo indicating whether the Norton product would also clean.

Anybody have more info?

16. smith2006

Have you tried uninstalling & reinstalling?

This might be useful to you:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060909201449AAzlwaJ

17. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I'm currently using

eTrust PestPatrol Version: 8. 0. 0. 6

SDK Version: 5.6.7.4

PPFILE.DAT Version: 18/09/2006-4:15:37 PM

PPINFO.DAT Version: 18/09/2006-4:15:37 PM

PPLOC.DAT Version: 18/09/2006-4:15:37 PM

Been using it about a week and its been running great, it uses around 20 mb of memory and hasn't noticeabley slowed down my laptop. It was a little annoying that it also installed the internet security suite center but i ended up disabling that and just ran the pestpatrol component.

18. smith2006

I am puzzled why the SDK Version in your copy is 5.6.7.4, whereas mine is SDK Version: 5.6.8.13.

19. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Hmmm, thats very strange. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that i originally installed and used the trial version, then i purchased an activation code and just entered it into the trial version. I'll have to look into it. Thanks for bringing that up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.