permanently allow software with automatic filtering on?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by tengo6dedos, Dec 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tengo6dedos

tengo6dedos Registered Member

hello,

automatic filtering is workin fine in my pc but there r several softwares (games) i want to permanently allow for in and out connections with no filtering

i only know the way of doin it with interactive filtering, do i have to follow the same way? i cant seem to find the way of fully allow 4ever a software with automatic filter on, i only see the "Temporary Allow Connection" option

winxp pro 32 bits
    eset smart home

thanks for ur help

2. ace11

ace11 Registered Member

One month ago i posted the same question here .
    No one bothered to answer.
    :doubt:
    it seems that most of the help you can get here is about GUI gliches.

3. OMEGA_RAZER

OMEGA_RAZER Registered Member

I'm pretty sure you just need to add a rule for it while in interactive and then it will use the rule in automatic as well.

4. stueycaster

stueycaster Registered Member

A few years back I was using ZoneAlarm. One day it popped up and told me that msginav.exe was trying to access the internet and did I want to allow it. I wasn't doing anything with it so I said no. Immediately there was another one with a different name and I said no to that one too. I didn't know enough then to find out what was going on so I just let it go.

A short time later I found that these were viruses that were keeping a keylog and had tried to send it off to someone. They would have had my bank account numbers if it weren't for ZoneAlarm catching it and pointing it out to me.

Because of this incident I can't understand for the life of me why anyone would want to use Automatic mode. The only reason why I bought ESS in the first place was for the interactive application control.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to say people are wrong. I just needed to tell my little story about this.

5. ace11

ace11 Registered Member

omega razer:
    your assumption is wrong:ouch:

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

In order to use automatic mode with the defined rules together is to switch the firewall to the policy-based mode and define 2 additional rules:
    1, a rule that will block all incoming communication
    2, a rule that will allow all out outgoing communication

Since these are very general rules, other rules that you have already defined will take precedence over these two and the firewall will still behave like in automatic mode.

7. COSMO26

COSMO26 Registered Member

Marcos, your explanation above seems too basic and essential to Firewall setup understanding Not to be a Sticky OR in an FAQ, as the 2.7 Forum has.

HELP section on Policy-based mode Talks ABOUT IT, Not How-To-Do-It it as you just did.

Are there plans for an FAQ here?

8. OMEGA_RAZER

OMEGA_RAZER Registered Member

:p never said it was right :p I use interactive so I wasn't sure but I thought I saw it posted somewhere that that was how you did it.

9. bfjonas

bfjonas Registered Member

Ace11, Since you seem to know right from wrong, what's the correct answer?

I agree with Cosmo26, there needs to be some better documentation about using the automatic mode and the consequences.

The point of Stueycaster's post is something I've been thinking about ever since I uninstalled Comodo's FW and NOD 32 and installed ESS in automatic mode. I like that it's not bugging me like Comodo, but ESS in auto mode could be making mistakes.

I would like guidance about using a mixture of me in interactive mode, and other quick to click "ok" users in automatic. I don't understand what rules will override other rules, or even how to see the rules.

bfjonas

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.