Periodic cleanup/recycle of TI backups

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by GoAWest, Dec 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoAWest

GoAWest Registered Member

With ATI9, I can do a full backup or an incremental (or diff). If I do a full backup + incremental backups, eventually my backup destination *.tib files will grow too big and have too many obsolete files. So it seems I want to recycle the backup from time to time. What's the recommended method--set up two backups & schedules to the *same* *.tib backup destination, one full (e.g. run once every N months) and one incremental (e.g. run weekly)?

2. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

I would handle this the same way I handle Retrospect.
    Use 2, or more, USB drives.
    Create a separate backup set on each drive, call then Set1 and Set2.
    Create incremental backups for each set, swapping the drives at whatever interval is convenient.

At some point, recycle the backup set on the drive with the less up to date backup set, then recycle the backup set on the other drive.

I would always work with at least 2 backup sets.
    Even if the backup software had a means to remove old files, I would want to have another copy to fall back on.

3. GoAWest

GoAWest Registered Member

Hey Howard, fancy meeting you here :)

I've got the multiple backups covered (multiple backups by a program, multiple backup programs, multiple destinations, multiple schedules, etc.).

I was just looking for a simple way to recycle (to borrow Retrospect's terminology) the backup periodicially. With Retrospect, this can be done with one setup script but different schedules (one for incremental, one for recycle) attached to that script. With TI9 it seems you have to set up two complete & separate backup scripts (pointing to the same .tib file) with different schedules and characteristics.

4. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Ayup, the internet can be a small world.

I NEVER schedule backups, only run them manually.

So, I just select whether I want a full or incremental backup when I run a script, separate script for each backup set.

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello GoAWest,

Perhaps this <previous reply> and the embeded link therein can help.

Regards

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello GoAWest,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Besides of the Menorcaman's advice please also take a look at my post #4 from this previous thread. It should answer you question.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.