Performing First Backup With TI 9

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ohrbrcko, Mar 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ohrbrcko

ohrbrcko Registered Member

I have purchased a external HD as the location for my backups (still in the box). It is 160GB in size. My PC's C: drive contains no more than 20-30 GBs worth of information data/applications/pictures and etc.

Should I partition my new external HD?

If so, how many new drives and what should their respective sizes be?

What should each new drive be used for?

Finally, can TI 9 do the task of partitioning my new external HD or will have to purchase a specialized disk partitioning utility? Looking through the manual, TI is suppose to be able to partition a HD - or am I misunderstanding something?

Thank you all in advance!

ba

2. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

If you are only going to use the drive for backups (as I do), I really don’t see any need to partition it.

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I agree. If you want to keeps something separate, folders will do.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello ohrbrcko,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

If you want to use Acronis True Image 9.0 to partition your new external hard drive then it will be able to perform this for you. It has the "Add New Disk" feature which is intended for this purpose.

Please take a look at the chapter 8 of Acronis True Image 9.0 User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

5. ohrbrcko

ohrbrcko Registered Member

First Backup With TI 9 Went Well

All Went Well..No Really

I partitioned my external HD into two drives. A large one to hold a full system backup and a smaller one to hold just my data i.e. My Documents. I used Acronis True Image to partition my external drive and for a full back up of my C: Then, I copied over without the use of Acronis (for simplicity sake) My Documents folder. So far so good. I have decided that on a weekly basis, I will copy over My Documents folder and contents. As far as keeping my full system backup current, I am not sure how to deal with this.

I could do a full back up monthly with incremetal/differential updates in between. Or jsut resort to incremental backups on a daily basis on forgo any more full system backups.

What is the easiest, simpliest routine for backup one's PC and keeping that image current?

I have read the manual a couple of times and I don't undertand the differences between an incremental backup and differential?

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Re: First Backup With TI 9 Went Well

Hello ohrbrcko,

Incremental backup contains all data modified since the last preceding backup (full or incremental). To restore from an incremental backup, one needs to have the full backup and all preceding incremental backups, if any.

Differential backup contains all data modified since a full preceding backup (unlike incremental backup that contains data from the last backup only). To restore from a differential backup, one needs to have a full backup which the differential was taken from.

Please also take a look at this FAQ article. It can make clear the difference between incremental and differential backups.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.