Performance

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by nickster_uk, Dec 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nickster_uk

nickster_uk Registered Member

Is it me or is anyone else noticing a drop in system and web performance with v5.0.95.0?

Things just seem a bit slower from logging on to loading web pages.

2. stratoc

stratoc Guest

Aida, Vantage and Passmark all very slightly lower on here too, each version gets a bit heavier, still the lightest though as most other AV's are just ridiculous.

3. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

Very true, I was almost about to Ditch ESET and buy a new license of Norton Internet Security even though my license is still valid till 2013 March but I tried the demo of Norton Internet Security 2012 and my system became very slow! Also, when I was scanning my system, I couldn't even use my laptop anymore it was THAT SLOW!

I have a pretty fast notebook as you see from my sig below so...no matter how bad Eset intends to screw up their award winning and lightest product, it will never get as bad as the competition

It's sad that with every new version of Eset Smart Security or NOD32, rather than getting better, it gets worse and slower. The only reason that I upgrade to the latest version is that I have an issue, I like to always have the latest versions :(

4. get_it

get_it Registered Member

Things are just as well in v5 as they are in v4 for me. Running core i3 3GB RAM 320GB HDD 7200rpm, not exactly top notch but ample.

5. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I have. Web browsing has slowed considerably with some of the worst web page choppiness when loading, I have ever seen.

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Could you please give me some examples of sites that you're having problems with and paste here the information about the installed modules? What OS do you use?

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Vista 64 bit, mostly it is when you are searching in Google and then going to sites. It can be really slow. I have tried with ESS installed and uninstalled with same locations and there is a marked difference.

8. Skier

Skier Registered Member

I've no idea whether it's a factor for you but I was experiencing a multitude of performance problems with ESET System Security v5.xx. I eventually traced it to having the Malwarebytes real-time module running at the same time. Since disabling that from Windows start-up all issues have gone.

Skier
    ESET SS v5.0.95.0
    Windows 7 64-bit|8GB RAM | Intel i7-2700k (3.5GHz)

9. terradon

terradon Registered Member

As a webmaster, I can tell you that since the Holiday shopping season began, web traffic is way up and server performance has really degraded. There have been times that I was ready to blame ESS, but it always proves to be a different cause. Yes, there is a performance hit, but it is very tiny, especially compared to other security suites.

10. Thai

Thai Registered Member

Virus Signature Database update will totally freeze Firefox 8.0

Any time I see Firefox 'Not Responding' - I know it will be ESET doing an update - and sure enough - I will get the Virus Signature Update popup to confirm it completed - and then Firefox will operate normally.

Windows 7 Home Premium / 64 Bit

ESET 5.0.94.0

Lins

11. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

If you are having noticeable drop in performance after installing ESET Smart Security v5, try the following steps:
    1. Download the latest version of ESET Smart Security. (x86 / x64)
    2. Go to ESET Knowledgebase Article #2289, "How do I manually uninstall my Windows ESET security product? and download the ESET Uninstaller tool.
    3. Make a back up of your current configuration. Instructions can be found in ESET Knowledgebase Article #828, "How can I backup and restore my Windows ESET security product's settings?"
    4. Uninstall ESET Smart Security.
    5. Restart the computer in Safe Mode by tapping the F8 key upon reboot.
    6. Run the ESET Uninstaller tool.
    7. Reboot again.
    8. Reset the network stack on your computer by issuing a

NETSH INT IP RESET RESETLOG.TXT

command from the Command Prompt (filename: CMD.EXE).

If running Microsoft Windows Vista or newer, make sure you open the Command Prompt as an administrator so it is elevated.

For more information on resetting the network stack, see Microsoft Knowledgebase Article #299357, "How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)". Instructions are for applicable to Microsoft Windows XP SP3 and newer.
    9. Reboot again.
    10. Install ESET Smart Security v5 with the default settings. Do not import previous configurations, or make any changes to the protection offered by the software.
    You should have a new, completely typically installation of ESET Smart Security v5 running on a refreshed network stack.

Start visiting some of the web sites you noticed problems with before, and see if the problem remains the same, has gotten better or worse, or has disappeared entirely.

If the problem has gotten noticeably better or disappeared entirely, then you are done. If you had customized the protection settings offered by ESET Smart Security, restore them one-by-one by changing the settings in the program (don't just re-import your XML configuration file) and test between the changes to see if you can identify which one(s) introduced the performance problem on the computer.

If the problem stays the same or gets worse, than what is probably happening is some sort of a conflict with another process on the system (application, service, filter driver and so forth). To troubleshoot further, I would recommend contacting your local ESET distributor or office and opening a ticket with them. There are a couple of things you will want to do before that, though:
    1. Create an ESET SysInspector log per ESET Knowledgebase Article #2219, "How do I create a SysInspector log". Submit this as an attachment with your support request.
    2. You may also need to submit a packet capture from a program like Wireshark or Network Monitor. Do not install the program, though, unless the support engineer first asks you to—the problem may be identified through the ESET SysInspector log.
    It is generally the case that programs get bigger after time as more features are added. That said, ESET strives for and works hard to ensure its programs are fast, unobtrusive and don't get in the way of letting you use your computer to its full potential. If you are having some kind of performance problem that gets in the way of your using your computer, let ESET know so they can investigate and try to help you fix things.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

12. stratoc

stratoc Guest

There seems to be an intermittent browsing slow down, only slightly and seems (for me) to be after the defs have been updated, I only notice it on very demanding sites such as Facebook, Virginmedia etc. I have just rolled back to V4 and my web pages, more noticably on firefox V9.0.1 then IE9 are now loading almost instantly which they only did for about 75% of the time on Eset V5.
    addins on IE9 are office uploader, java console 7 update2, adobe flash 11.1.102.55 and silverlight 4.0.60831.0.

Firefox extensions none. Plug ins: java platform 7 update 2, adobe flash and silverlight.
    clean install windows 7 64 bit, no other realtime security, defender off. Has only had Eset software since reinstall.
    Hope this helps.
    There also seems to be 2 less processes running on my pc with V4, could anyone confirm this?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.