Performance Problem: Build 3.0.657

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by knacki99, May 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. knacki99

knacki99 Guest

Hi,

using ESS 3.0.657 on Vista SP1 x64. I used 650 before without any issue. I upgraded to 657 yesterday and have oberserved the following:

It seems that Real-time file system protection is using significantly more CPU power in this build. I have a G15 keyboard with integrated CPU monitoring.

In build 357 all four cores are used about 30 - 50% when the engine is scanning. This results in micro-unresponsiveness of applications for about 1 or 2 seconds.

I haven't had this behaviour with build 350. This is my setup and my build 357 info:

http://www.abload.de/img/image1fdp.jpg

2. knacki99

knacki99 Guest

I just noticed that watching a streaming video over the internet causes a constant 8-10% CPU usage. Due to the web access protection scanner?

I can not remember this with build 350.

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Your computer specifications are much better than my computer's ... I haven't noticed any such change since I upgraded to v3.0.657

Different is that I have dual-core processor with 2 Gb RAM
    Vista x86 SP1

Idle:
    idle.png

Scanning .exe-s:
    scanning.png

During scan CPU goes from 1 to 50 % but not more . However , it is not noticable . I can't notice any changes with my x86 XP single core processors computers

4. knacki99

knacki99 Guest

I am not talking about "on demand" scans. I am talking about automatic background scans like right after startup/boot.

This is what I get:

Image1.jpg

5. knacki99

knacki99 Guest

In such a scenario when an automatic background scan is putting 4 CPU cores to a 50% load, disabling ESS antivirus and antispyware immediately lowers CPU load to 0.

So it definitely has to do with the ESS scanner. See also picture above.

Is this a bug or is this a sign of how good ESS workso_Oo_Oo_O I thought ESET products were known for its performance.

P.S. I deinstalled ESS 650 via Programs and Features following a reboot before I installed 657.

6. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Although I showed you how things look like scanning exe file on-demand , it really doesn't matter with v3 because in this version the core is one and it performs all kind of scans including on-demand and automatic scans.

If the CPU is getting high , there could be a conflicting application . Contact ESET Technical support support@eset.com and leave them guide so that you get the problem fixed.

7. tosbsas

tosbsas Registered Member

did you check, there is a programm module update today

Ruben

8. knacki99

knacki99 Guest

Yes Problem still exits. I am going to try a reinstall.

9. Darken

Darken Registered Member

This problem exist with Nod32 Antivirus since the build 367.

10. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Try emptying the system temp folder to see if it makes a difference.

11. Darken

Darken Registered Member

The problem is not the system > uninstall build 367, reboot, cleanup, install build 350 and the problem is gone. Strange...

12. Marcos

I'd suggest using Process Monitor to monitor the activities being carried out at the time you observe the problem. It should help you find the root of the problem.

13. knacki99

knacki99 Guest

I am no IT pro Marcos but thx anyway.

I uninstalled ESS and switched to Avira PE. In this state I can not use and will not recommend ESET to my friends and colleagues.

I need a good performing and working Security Solution working out of the box. I have not the will nor the time to hassle with Tech Support.

It tool ESET 5 days to answer my question why the license info was not showing up in GUI after purchase. That was enough tech support for me.

Bye Bye

14. Darken

Darken Registered Member

Thanks for the reply...

I found the problematic file located here (with Process Monitor) > C:\Windows\Installer > Windows Installer patch > bf0252.msp

60% to 100% of CPU activities with Nod32 3.0. Only Vista Ultimate contains this file (I think). If a copy this file to another computer (XP and Vista Home Premium) > Nod32 3.0 jump at 60% to 100% of CPU activities.

Related issue: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=210285

Temp solution > Exclude this file under Nod32 and no more high CPU activities.

15. Marcos

How large is that file? Would it be possible to upload it to an ftp server?

16. Darken

Darken Registered Member

Hi,

17mb > Check your MP.

17. Hotep

Hotep Registered Member

I am having the same problem. The new version rendered my system useless. I had to revert back to V 3.0.650.0. Everything is now back to normal. I am also on a trial and was going to purchase but not so sure now, unless this can be resolved. I am not an IT pro and do not have the time to figure things out and I know it is not my system.

Hope this gets resolved soon as I do love the product!

18. Marcos

Could you please monitor the activities using Process monitor as advised above and let us know about your findings?

19. mkret

mkret Registered Member

I have to agree with "knacki99." I just upgraded to 3.0.657 and I have the same problem. EKRN.EXE at times will use 99% of my CPU resources rendering the machine useless.

I noticed this first when I went to play an AVI file with Windows Media Player 10. EKRN jumped to 99% CPU usage. Worse it will stay there for several minutes raising my CPU temperature upwards of thirty degrees.

Thought it would be an easy thing to revert back to 3.6.50 with an install of that. But of course it would not let me install that because there was a later version already installed. This might be another thing they may want to change. Give the user to do what he wants. So after cloning back and forth with several backups. I was finally able to accomplish that. No more problem of EKRN running at 99% for minutes on end.

Here it is Memorial Day and what am I doing? Screwing around ESET Smart Security Security. I say I am not a happy camper is a gross understatement.

There is a big problem with 3.0.657 and I have no intention of devoting any more time too it. I will stay with 650 for the time being. :(

20. grunf

grunf Registered Member

Same problem here from the moment I did update to 657

have quad procesor, 3gb RAM, never had any issues etc

I had enough now.

Can someone point me from where to download version 650 until Eset fixes this new mess they put us in to, and worst of all, we are paying for it!

Very unhapy

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  21. grunf

grunf Registered Member

found 650 (if you download trial vrsion of ESS, it is still 650), installed that, entered my username and pass and everything is running OK.

No more 657 for me

22. Marcos

Could you please provide more details about the problem? The best would be to provide step-by-step instructions so that we can try to replicate the problem.

23. Marcos

Please provide more details as how to replicate the problem.

24. grunf

grunf Registered Member

Marcos, I have up to date vista ultimate, 3gb ram, quad procesor etc

I'm nod user since 2004 and swiched to ess this year, never had any issues and I do not have time to explore in detail what is wrong with your product.

Only thing I'm sure and I know is that I noticed big change in my PC from the moment I did update to 657.

HOW?

Well, comuter freezes up for 10-15 seconds just by surfing the net in few tabs with firefox, IE etc, freezes up whilst oppening word file, freezes up whilst burning dvd with nero or doing any normal every day activity.

When I say "freezes up" it usually shows in top tab "not responding" for a while and than resumes as normal and than freezes up again and so on.

have no time or good will to chase in details what from ess is cousing that on my so far normal PC.

Simply by uninstalling ess 657 and reinstaling 650 everything went to normal.

all the best

25. Marcos

Just to make sure, do you mean it happens with default settings or you have tweaked the configuration (even though the same way in v. 650 and 657)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.