PerfectDisk 8 & ShadowProtect ?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by hjbyram, Jun 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hjbyram

hjbyram Registered Member

I have been using ShadowProtect (paid) version for several weeks and have a Schedule setup that does full backups on Saturdays and incrementals all other days. I am creating 3 backup sets before rolling off the oldest.

Yesterday I changed my evaluation version of PerfectDisk 8 to the full (paid) version. Although I opened the app, I didn't execute any defrags. Last night I also had a really hard shutdown - meaning I had to pull the plug since the PC was so locked up.

This morning when the backup ran, it was a full backup with a new backup set, not the expected incremental. Now I am not sure if it was the uninstalling of the trial version of PerfectDisk 8 & the installing of the full paid version that caused the change to my ShadowProtect backup schedule, or the bad shutdown, though I assume it's PerfectDisk.

I also posted on the ShadowProtect forum & it was suggested I delete my backup schedule, then run PerfectDisk, then recreate my backup schedule.
    I thought PerfectDisk would work well with ShadowProtect & this type of thing would not be needed? Is anyone else having to do this type of thing? I don't mind doing it, I'm just curious what others are doing in regards to defrag/image backups.

THANKS - Heather

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Heather

I have a Shadowprotect job running on one of my machines. I take an incremental every 15 minutes during the day. However I wouldn't have Perfect Disk on a schedule also. While in theory SP should be able to capture a snapshot while anything is going on, trying to do it during a defrag is probably pushing the limit if you think about it. Could also be microsofts VSS service that has a problem if the two go together. I don't do any automatic defragging.

As to it starting a new full image, I saw that once when I initiated a reboot just as an incremental started. Must have messed it up, so the next scheduled image, SP created a new full image and kept on going.

Pete

3. hjbyram

Hi Pete - thanks for the reply. I didn't explain that very well, as usual. The only thing I have scheduled is ShadowProtect. I don't have any schedule set up for PerfectDisk 8. But from your experience with these 2 products, I am back to thinking it was that hard shut down that caused this to happen & not PerfectDisk 8 being unistalled/reinstalled. Must have messed up stuff when it pulled the plug.

And on the subject of PerfectDisk 8 - I could have sworn that in the trial version there was something listed under Drive Properties/Excluded Files, but nothing is there in the paid version. With the trial version, I took the defaults, as I have with the paid version.

THANKS - Heather

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Yep, that kind of a shutdown is rough. I did it accidently once, by turning off the Battery backup before shutdown was finished. Had to restore an image to fix that mess.

Pete

5. hjbyram

Hi Pete - I read your threads on that problem you had.

Just to finish this thread out - today's backup - incremental - ran just fine and as expected. We are back to normal again. Actually I am very pleased with ShadowProtect, which detected a problem with the incremental counters & knew to automatically run the full backup. I just hadn't realized it was running the full backup when I initially saw that 100% sectors had changed yesterday.

It's unfortunate that my PC has always had this locking up problem - every so often, not all the time - and the only way out is to literally pull the plug. I guess one of these days I may be forced to restore an image, too, though it hasn't happened yet!

THANKS - Heather

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.