PerfectDisk 12

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Narxis, Feb 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

technically the premium and pro version are exactly the same during the install the config.ini sets the gui options. if you lok deeper they both have the exact same stuff and premium even has the smart settings in its options. with a quick edit of the config.ini and a repack premium looks just like pro. thus i went for premium and i agree with the above about taking stuff away that used to be there. for me its more of i dont want any more programs installed than i need. and i used to have the space stuff built in now they want you to install a second programs to do the same thing...

2. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

I defragged my HD with PD12 and then could not boot into other snapshots with FD-ISR. I first raised this issue during the beta test and thought it had been fixed. Can anyone else confirm this problem?

3. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Thread in progress here: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=300958

4. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

5. Hezakiah

Hezakiah Registered Member

I have Perfectdisk Pro 10. I formatted my comp today and cannot find a download link for version 10 anywhere, just version 11 and 12. Any ideas?

Edit: I just found the original disk. Sorry

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  6. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

How exactly do you change the config.ini settings before installation?.I downloaded the installation file and opened the .64msi file in peazip.I then edited the config.ini file to show all the tabs in the gui.and saved the altered ,msi file to my desktop.However when installing with this altered installation file ,it still installs with default 3 tabs (no smart tab etc).Any ideas what im doing wrong here?

7. zfactor

has to be repacked into a installer again not installed from the separate files

8. ellison64

On double checking when i alter and save the config.ini file in peazip it seems ok ,but when I open the config file again in peazip the values havent changed.It seems i cant alter anything from within peazip.Can you suggest a zip program that will work ,and also if possible step by step instructions?.I cant seem to get this to work at all at present.
    tia

9. zfactor

its not that easy. you actually have to recompile it back to a installer. not just re zip it with peazip. if you know how to work with programs than can decompile software its not that hard. i tested with peazip and it does not work that way. why not update to 12.5 as all tabs are now shown anyway?? if you look you can find it REALLY CHEAP. buy the upgrade option and there a 29% coupon code floating around as well so its like 19$ - 29%, or call them if you recently bought it for a while they were giving people free updates to 12.5

edit pm sent

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  10. ellison64

Ahh i see..i thought it was just a hidden menu that could be accessed something like avasts initiation file.Im not sure i would use the extra options anyway but was curious.Thanks for the info anyway :thumb:

11. ellison64

Found a coupon code that allowed me to purchase PD PRO reasonably cheap so purchased.I must say i was disappointed that the SMART monitoring feature couldnt even recognize my hard drive in the laptop (its a Hitachi HTS545032B9A300 ) in a Packard Bell laptop .Ive tried literally 10 or 15 smart monitoring programs over a period of time and not one has failed to recognize what hard drive i have or failed to produce the smart data.Im not impressed at all with PD in this respect :thumbd:

12. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

I have licenses to run PD 12.5 but, its performance over time, compared to other competitors has been falling. Furthermore, the product has become bloated because Raxco has been adding unnecessary features to it.

I'd rather run Diskeeper [for which I also have licenses]. Less bloated, gets the job done, less computer resources used and, works in the background at all times to keep defragmentation at a minimum.

Carlos

13. Narxis

Narxis Registered Member

I used Diskeeper too but i had feeling that it wasn't doing it's job. When i did a boot defrag with PerfectDisk or a Consolidate Free Space defrag i always felt my computer is faster. Bloated or not i think it's the best defragmenter.

14. ellison64

I also find perfect disk to be the best that ive tried for making the pc start up/general usage seem snappier.I ve tried practically every free defragger out there ,and i also have licences for Auslogicsdisk defrag pro ,and ultimate defrag 3 (i must admit these two are a little too complicated for me and ive never tried diskkeeper so cant comment.).I want something that doesnt ask me what i think is best for my pc because i dont know whats best ,and im not going to bother trying every scanario to see which is best.Thats why PD is perfect for me because the default setup works better than the others ive tried.I honestly dont really see any bloat there either ,unless services are considered bloat?.Again i dont see any problems with services as long as theres no system impact.The only slow down i get with PD is rightclicking the PD tray icon and theres a slight delay before the
    "open perfectdisk"
    "optimize"
    "exit"
    Tooltip box appears ,which i guess is a gui issue?
    I am narked though that if there are functions added such as SMART which could be useful ,then i expect it to detect my HD when no other smart monitoring programe has ever failed.In fairness ive contacted support ,and they have requested some info /files etc so Ill see what happens.

15. homeless_sapient

homeless_sapient Registered Member

I'm curious what do you think about the performance of MyDefrag (particularly the „System Disk Monthly” algorithm/script!) in comparison with PerfectDisk.

16. ellison64

Well ive just spent a few hours installing my defrag and performing the System disk monthly script.I took a few pics of before and after with comparisons of PD and diskdefrag express by distrix.I dont know how valuable or relevant the data is.First i took a screenshot of PD showing the state of my disk

I then shutdown PD and its background services and defragged with MD.It took about 2 hours.Time taken to get to my desktop seemed longer than with PD.I also noticed that icons on the desktop ,and the system tray were slower to show ,and seemed to individually render.All in all it was slower than PD.I then took a screen shot of analysed C:disk with PD and with diskdefrag express.Both showed that the drive was well ,with very little defragmentation.I then uninstalled mydefrag rebooted and defragged again with PD.This took about an hour.I used the default smart placement.I then rebooted and time taken to get to the desktop was faster.Also icons in system tray and on desktop showed quicker and not individually as was the case after MD defrag.I then analysed drive again with disk defrag express and this showed that the drive was NOT as optimised as it was was with MD.Im guessing that MD perhaps uses similar alogirithm to Diskdefrag express?.However in reality boot time and loading times especially of desktop /system tray icons was noticably quicker with PD.This maybe because i have PD to manage boot and prefetch files.It seems to do this well.Again I like PD because it seems to work out of the box without having to wonder which option to choose.I did choose PD to manage boot and prefetch files rather than its default "just boot files" though.

Attached Files:

17. ellison64

After Final PD optimisation

Attached Files:

18. psi2003

psi2003 Registered Member

homeless_sapient,

Do you like of MyDefrag? What the best defrag program for you? :rolleyes:

19. homeless_sapient

Thank you for your brilliant answer :)

I like very much DiskTrix UltimateDefrag. Especially for its unbeatable customization capabilities related to boot time defragmentation, advanced settings for NTFS metafiles placement, MTF reserved zone resizing option, the possibility to move files from one cluster zone to another…

But I've discovered a serious bug – described here:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=321962

The DiskTrix support service is non-existent. They don't answer to (my) messages. It's a shame. So I've turned toward MyDefrag. This is the most customizable defrag software in the world – except the offline customitation of NTFS metafiles, where PerfectDisk and even more DiskTrix UltimateDefrag is more powerfull.

In PerfectDisk I don't like:
    a) It's like a sturdy big tractor;
    b) Two sluggish mandatory system services run in the background;
    c) The version 12 sometimes (randomly) could not find my partitions (a strange and serious bug);
    d) The lack of sorting option based on file/folder path. PerfectDisk uses only the last time access sorting method, which is not always useful. Virus scanners and other casual program usage could have negative repercussions in this area. Unfortunately there are not „most frequently accessed” counters in Windows. The approximation is the „most recently accessed”, but this is not perfect.

So MyDefrag is very attractive for me now. It can be customized with scripts to optimize in the same way like PerfectDisk, plus many other methods.

The documentation is excellent:

1) http://www.mydefrag.com/Manual-Scripts.html
    2) http://www.mydefrag.com/Manual-FrequentlyAskedQuestions.html

The forum is friendly:

http://www.mydefrag.com/forum/index.php

Finally, behold an interesting defragmenter test, where the winner is MyDefrag and O&O Derfrag:

http://hofmannc.de/defragxp/index_en.html

20. Narxis

Narxis Registered Member

This test is too old.

21. homeless_sapient

22. homeless_sapient

The defragmentation technology isn't something rapidly developing. Only the the file system change could bring revolutionary progress in this area.

MyDefrag can optimize by a lot of criteria:

SortByLastAccess
    SortByLastChange
    SortByName
    SortByCreationDate
    SortByNewestDate
    SortBySize
    +
    SortByImportSequence:
    - from Layout.ini
    - from prefetch *.pf files
    - from custom file list

At this moment NTFS cannot be optimzed in more ways.
    The „MOST FREQUENTLY ACCESSED” COUNTER would be the major breakthrough. But this is impossible now in Windows/NTFS.

23. Spruce

Spruce Registered Member

I'd say we already kinda have a new "file system", SSD, get one and you can forget about defrag and optimizing :p

24. Narxis

Narxis Registered Member

What about the OptiWrite from PerfectDisk and Intelliwrite from Diskeeper? These technologies reduce the fragmentation and improves the HDD's health.

25. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

Agreed! Optimizing mechanical disks is all about reducing the distance the heads must move. Little more. In SSD's this is a non-issue.

Many of the 6th gen controllers (onboard the SSD) are going to be designed to work in the background to handle basic optimization tasks such as free-space consolidation. You should picture that as having the SSD work (when you are not) to move the free space into one area. There are other self-optimizing actions the newer SSD's will do too, eliminating even the perceived notion of having to optimize them in the first place.

Another behind-the-scenes "optimization" that an SSD can do to itself is shift fragments and files around instantly. It does this by changing the lookup table of files and their fragments (if any). All of a sudden, like magic, a file that has resided at the end of the disk can now appear to be at the front of the disk. But yet, the file is still spread among thousands of blocks. Not that it makes much difference to the SSD since access times are equal for any block (or set of address locations). This can take the load off Windows having to keep track of file fragments.

As many of you have been following TRIM and its importance to maintaining write speeds on drives that have been in use for some time; you'll note that more and more optimizations and tricks are being built simultaneously into both the SSD and host OS.

With SSD's and the way they abstract file locations we can finally say bye-bye to all these tedious and time consuming disk optimizing programs.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.