Perfect Disk Do I need it?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by WilliamP, Nov 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

HandsOff

From the Raxco site.

What is the difference between having PerfectDisk manage the boot files and having the system manage the boot files?

By default, Windows XP monitors application launches and identifies those files loaded during the process. Windows stores this information in the prefetch folder (usually Windows/Prefetch) in a file called layout.ini. Every 3 days, Windows does a "partial" defrag of the files indicated in layout.ini - attempting to make sure that they are contigous so that your system will boot faster and applications will launch faster.

If PerfectDisk has been configured to let Windows manage the boot files, PerfectDisk will mark the files indicated in layout.ini as unmovable and will not attempt to defragment these files or move them elsewhere on the drive as it is expecting Windows do perform this task every 3 days. This can prevent PerfectDisk from doing a complete defrag job.

If PerfectDisk has been configured manage the boot files, PerfectDisk will read layout.ini and will make sure that the files indicated are contiguous and the location is optimized

As PerfectDisk is a much more powerful disk defragmenter than the built-in defragmenter, letting PerfectDisk manage the boot files will ensure that these files are optimized for the fastest possible performance.

2. NetTraveler

NetTraveler Registered Member

Scuse my brutality, but to much defragmenting HD is a bad practice.. I used to run Diskeeper on Win98SE, activated "Set and forget" function and that resulted my system freezing for no reason.
    Further (to much) defragmenting is as bad as not defragmenting at all.. Specially if you run Win98SE which tends to, and works better if disk is fragmented ( it fragments the disk by default) ;)
    I think original Windows defragmenters are enough to keep your disk in good health. If you want to spend money, buy something usefull to keep your putter and registry in top condition. (If you experiment alot with different programs. Your Uninstaller! 2004 Pro is great. :) )

Quote Your Uninstaller:Your Uninstaller! can automatically detect broken registry keys from Add/Remove list and entirely clear them with your permission, also it can detect unused files left by uninstalls and prompt you to completely delete them.

Big registry and large number of unnecessary files can make your system real slow wich makes you think your disk is fragmented. :)

3. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Scuse my honesty ;). Win98 is so far gone from my mind that i can't remember what it was like to defrag on W98, however defraging XP definately does give my system a speedboost, whether this is enough of a reason for anyone else to buy PerfectDisk (or DisKeeper) well that's not my decision. :cool: :)
    BTW. I have never experienced any freezing when scheduling. :)

4. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

in response to NetTraveler-

It must be stated that there is a huge difference in the FAT32 file system of W98, ect... and the NTFS found in XP. Trust me whatever defrag strategies are appropriate for one, very likely don't apply to the others. Some would argue that NTFS needs defrag less (bostering your case). My point is that NTFS needs to be defragmented with a much more sophisticated approach, therefore (bolstering my case, I believe) PD becomes more necessity and less luxury.

To Ronjor-

If I interpret that quote, it means you should set it my way :)?

Okay, here is the other thing...I ran NTREGOPT and PAGEDEFRAG and originally hesistated to relay my results because they may sound like I have gone off the deep end, but my result was that NTREGOPT saved less than 10% space and PAGEDEFRAG said the first 6 hives were already continous and the 7th had only one extra fragment. I did not like something about the programs, however so I restored it the way it was before, but to each his own.

- HandsOff

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Handsoff

I have my settings as in the above screenshot. :)

6. HandsOff

OK i am still confused because i understood the question that you put to perfect disk, and I understand the answer they gave you. The only thing I still feel i need clarification on is which radio button corrosponds to which setting.

the first one (your setting) is "recommended", and yet they may be addressing users other than XP users....

the second one (my setting) is letting PD handle "all layout.ini files". Well if it is handling them all, does that not mean that it is defragging them?

I don't mean to put the weight on you, Ron, I might check, only i am not a registered user. (I never register anything i don't have to, and when I do i usually provide fictions info. for those of you who say company x will never compromise your personal info, all I can say is why do I now receive computer generation snail mail for "bozo theclown", "redmond redneck", "Me", ect...then again, perhaps I should not have exaggerated so much on my "household income" or been so expansive about my ecclectic "interests"

- HandsOff

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Handsoff

From the Perfectdisk help file.

Let PerfectDisk manage. - if selected, PerfectDisk will optimize the location of the files needed to start your computer. This will decrease the time necessary to reboot your computer. If not managed by the Operating System or PerfectDisk, your computer could become unbootable if a file needed to boot the system is moved beyond the BIOS limit of your computer. On Windows XP/2003, this is a subset of the files listed in the layout.ini file (i.e., only those needed to boot the operating system).

Let PerfectDisk manage all the layout.ini files (Windows XP/2003 only) - if selected, PerfectDisk will defragment, and place all the files listed in the layout.ini file in order, starting at the beginning of your disk. This list contains all files loaded by Windows from the second you turn on your computer until about 1 minute after the desktop appears. This list not only contains the files needed to boot, but also the applications you routinely start after the system has booted. See http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/platform/performance/benchmark.asp for more information on Layout.ini.

Let the System manage the layout.ini files (Windows XP/2003 only) - if selected, Windows XP/2003 will place the layout.ini files automatically every three days during system idle periods. The placement will be to the first area of free space capable of storing them. If the system is never idle for a sufficient period, these files will never be placed.

Disabled - if selected, neither PerfectDisk nor the operating system will manage the files. This should never be chosen unless you have another third party tool managing these files.

8. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

Ronjor,if I understand correctly the way you have indicated in your screen shot, Perfect Disk will take care of everything. I have followed the postings with interest.

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

William

That is my understanding and the way I use Perfectdisk.
    So how is your computer running?

10. WilliamP

Computer doing fine. I have two new toys. First Defense and Perfect Disk. I am impressed with both. I scheduled an update with FD last night and checked the log today to make sure it worked. It indicated 3 errors. It was files with Process Guard. In PD if there is any other settings I should know about I would appreciate the help. Which bitmap display do you use XP or Perfect Disk?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2004
  11. HandsOff

WilliamP
    I am glad you decided to get PD. If your experience is like mine you will really benefit from using it. As for settings, I set mine to defrag system files at each boot (as does Ron) this usually does not need to be done, so it just adds maybe 5 seconds to boot time. However if it does need to be done, you get it done right away. As a little side bonus, over time you get a feel for just which activities lead to fragmentation of metadata. So I would suggest that one. Its easiest to set by opening PD right clicking a drive, click properties tab and check always..." Good Luck!

Ron
    there are more files included in the optimization in choice 2, however, they are not as necessary to actually boot the computer as the ones in choice 1. therefore the choice is not quite simple to me. what if i want my firewall, antitrojan, antivirus, and certain other progs to be optimized to start as quickly as possible? I choose choice 2 which might result might be a slower boot, and yet a faster state of usability. in this scenario i guess more autostart programs will be optimized? that's one reason i hate it when fluff programs worm their way into autostarting.

-HandsOff

P.S. - i did email support, yet more and more i think experience will be the best teacher.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2004
  12. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I believe you are right Handsoff. It's nice to have options to "do it your way".
    If it is right for you, that is all that matters. :)

13. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Hmmmm, interesting. I have run/updated FD-ISR literally many dozens of times the past several months WITHOUT A SINGLE ERROR but then again, I do not own Process Guard. I was thinking about purchasing PG, now I'm gonna have to reconsider; I'll go without ANY program to keep FD, I like it that much.
    ;)

Acadia

14. WilliamP

I guess because of the security of PG ,FD couldn't open the files. I wouldn't get rid of either program. May be a way to deal with it. o_O

15. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

I'm in the process of deciding which Defragger to get. It's between DiskKeeper, PerfectDisk, and O&O Defragmenter Pro.

You never hear much about O&O Defrag Pro, although in a review by the UK PC Pro magazine, it came out top.

Has anyone else used it ?

16. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

William, have you restored or booted into one of the Snapshots that had errors? Are you able to make FD work EVEN WITH the errors? I have never had any errors so I have no idea how a FD snapshot would work that had errors in it. o_O

Acadia

17. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I tried O&O when I was looking for a defragger for XP. It looks like O&O has added several functions since then.

I picked Perfectdisk for the slight edge in speed I seemed to gain.

Personal preference I would say.

18. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Acadia

PG is not a problem at all with FD-ISR. I disable all security stuff before doing a refresh of other snapshots. Keeps the system simple for copy. Works like a breeze. PG and all security software works in all snapshots. Go for PG, it is worth it.

Pete

19. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I trialed O&O compared to Perfectdisk. SLower and took several passes. Didn't like it.

Pete

20. Defenestration

Peter2150,

Did you compare O&O 6.5 with PerfectDisk 7 ?

Also, why does the Download version of PD cost more than the CD version ? Seems a bit odd!

21. Defenestration

Should you disable AV Real-Time protection when defragmenting ?

22. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

The O&O 6.5 didn't worked well on my system with the SP2, but before I've the SP2 it works very well.
    I prefer the O&O, instead of Diskeeper, but the new version of PerfectDisk is very nice...

23. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

For a good defrag, shut down as many running programs as you can.

Some realtime virus scanners interfere with Perfectdisk.

24. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Ditto ;)

25. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Perfectdisk just takes 55 seconds to defrag my hard disk drive! Amazing!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.