Per-domain script/plugin blocking for IE?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Gullible Jones, Aug 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Just wondering, what are the current options for script and plugin blocking on a per-domain basis in IE 8 and 9? Chrome, Firefox, and Opera all have extensions for dealing with this, but IE doesn't seem to, unless I'm missing something. The best option I can figure out on this looks to be using IE's zones - maybe putting frequented domains in the Trusted category, and setting the security level to maximum for everything else. But that seems kind of cumbersome, at least from what I've seen of the IE interface.

The other way I can see to do this is a filtering proxy, like Proxomitron or Privoxy. Proxomitron has some rulesets available that would do the job, but I'm not sure if it works with Win7. Privoxy... I've used before and it doesn't seem all that flexible, more like a web sanitizer than anything security-related.

Any other ideas, or is that it?

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

You can go into the manage addons screen, right click on an enabled addon and click "More Information", then click the "Remove All Sites" button.

After that happens, every time a site attempts to load that addon you'll get a notification bar at the bottom asking you to allow. Every time you do, it will add the site to the whitelist (the whitelist is the "more information menu" I described above).

Alternatively you can use ActiveX filtering which will allow you disable all plugins and enable all of them on a per site basis, instead of handling individual whitelists per-plugin.

As for per-domain scripting, I believe you can use zones for that. Customizing a specific zone's settings and then adding the URL.

3. Thanks, and sorry I missed this! Sounds pretty decent, if not as comprehensive or easy to use as Noscript.

4. Okay, I've got IE zones set up in a VM at the moment, under Windows 7 and IE 9. I've set it up with High restrictions for the Internet zone, Medium for trusted, and Safe Mode for all zones... Not bad.

There is rather a lot of clicking involved in adding a site to your trusted list. Not as convenient as Noscript... OTOH it's probably better in a way, in that it encourages you to keep your whitelist short. JS blocking does seem to be per-page rather than per-domain, but I'm mostly okay with that. I think I'd encourage IE users to take advantage of these features!

BTW, IE 9 is much, much faster when it doesn't have to render Javascript.

Edit: the procedure for adding a site to the Trusted list is as follows...

Click on the tools menu (the little gear)
    -> Internet Options
    -> Security tab
    -> Trusted Sites icon
    -> Sites button
    -> Add (the current domain should be in the input box)

"Require server verification for all sites in this zone" has to be unchecked to add HTTP sites. Also the page will need to be refreshed (as in Chrome) for changes to take effect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.