Penguin Pills - a GUI that supports literally every linux command line AV scanner

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by kavulix, Oct 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kavulix

kavulix Registered Member

I've just released a new version of Penguin Pills available at sourceforge and thought it might be of some interest to the board members here. A basic readme file is included in each penguinpills download but I would recommend reading the entire contents of the penguinpills homepage prior to using the software for the first time.

The Penguin Pills application will support any Linux AV scanner and aims to simplify the process of scanning and updating from the command line. It also provides drag/drop file scanning plus context menu scanning (if you install one of the deb packages).

The options window for every scanner used in Penguin Pills is completely customizable. If the default window doesn't contain the options that you regularly use with your AV scanner then you can customize the window by editing the config.ini file in the ~/.penguinpills folder. Additional details regarding this feature can be found on the homepage.

I would also recommend downloading the quick_install_scripts file if you haven't already installed an AV scanner. Even if you don't run any of the bash scripts included in that archive you might find some helpful tips for the installation by opening the bash script in a text editor and just reading through it.

If you discover any bugs in the application please report them using the bug tracker on sourceforge. Also, if anyone is interested in packaging the application for other distributions please let me know and I'll add you as a project member so that you can upload your packages to sourceforge. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.