pehelp.chm - Page cannot be displayed

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by bluewind, Mar 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluewind

bluewind Registered Member

Hello, I am new to PortExplorer and wish to check out the Help before installing it.

I downloaded pehelp.zip, unzipped pehelp.chm and ran it. And I continue to get "Page cannot be displayed" screens for all Help topics.

Since joining the forum and having gotten the wilders cookie, I tried the help file again. But the help file is still as above.

I haven't seen any hit in ZoneAlarm for the Diamond CS website or any website at all when opening or browsing through the help file. Also, ZoneAlarm is not set to block any activity with this file or the Diamond CS website. If it blocked, I would see it in the logs.

Does the Help file need to a the Diamond CS cookie or does the Diamond CS website need to be added to my trusted sites in order to see the Help?

The Help file is 300k which seems big for just a collection of links.

I am running XP Pro SP2, ZoneAlarm Pro, and Symantec Anti-Virus (doesn't block anything except viruses.)

Any ideas, anyone?

2. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

None of our helpfiles reference any external/internet-based data so your firewall shouldnt see any activity in that sense.

Are you able to view any other CHM files? (There's plenty in your Windows\Help\ directory)

This is because it's not just a collection of links ... :). It has a lot of text and many images in there to help users empower themselves with the software and understand every aspect of the program.

Best regards,
    Wayne

3. bluewind

Hello Wayne.

Yes, I have no problems viewing .chm files. I re-checked several just in case something changed on me and they all displayed easily.

Unfortunately, I also checked the ProcessGuard Help file (procguard.chm) which has the same display problem (Page cannot be displayed - for every topic) as pehelp.chm.

I downloaded a 2nd copy of pehelp.chm, unzipped it over the 1st and got the same results.

Any other ideas?

I think I am going to install the trial version of PortExplorer and see if I can see the Help from there.

I will let you know the result.

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

This may not be your problem but since .CHM files can harbor viruses....Microsoft imposed new rules on .CHM files in Service Pack 2 (SP2) for Windows XP. Anytime you download a .CHM file to your hard drive you will have to right-click on its filename and select Properties. Then Click on the Unblock button to read the Help file.

5. bluewind

Thanks Bubba - I've run into that before had already tried that and yes it was blocked. I clicked Unblock. When I clicked Apply my computer instantly did a hardware reboot! aaaarrgghh!

I just noticed some new events in the Event Viewer for each time I've tried to run pehelp.chm - Source: ITSS, Event ID: 1 - with the following text in the Description area.

The description for Event ID ( 1 ) in Source ( ITSS ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: C:\PC\Port Explorer\pehelp.chm, http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkID=45834.

The microsoft web page title is:

You cannot open remote content by using the InfoTech protocol after you install security update 896358, security update 840315, or Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1

It says:

SYMPTOMS
    After you install security update 896358, security update 840315, or Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 (SP1), you may experience the following symptoms:
    - If you have installed security update 896358 or Windows Server 2003 SP1, you may experience the following symptoms:
    - The features of some of Web applications on the computer no longer work. For example, a topic may not be displayed after you click a link.
    - When you try use a Universal Naming Convention (UNC) path to open a Compiled Help Module file (.chm file) on a network shared folder, topics in the .chm file do not appear.

- If you have installed security update 840315, the Web applications that nest protocols within the InfoTech protocols in a URL do not work correctly on the computer.

RESOLUTION
    Warning The symptoms are an expected and intended effect of installing the security updates. This section provides workarounds to re-enable features of business-critical programs. The workarounds may make the computer more vulnerable to the threats that the security updates address. The safest course is not to use the registry workarounds. If you must use workarounds, set the registry values to be as restrictive as possible.

Yow! I hope my hardware reboot wasn't an "expected and intended effect."

Note that the above web page applies to XP also. Microsoft's solutions to security are beginning to really wear on me now. I hope some better thinking has gone into MS Vista.

Anyway, I installed the trial version of PortExplorer and that help file works just fine.

The only other difference I've found is that 2 different pehelp.chm files have 2 different modification times meaning they were likely built one after the other - possibly an earlier build got mixed into the download version.

At this point, it doesn't really matter to me since I now have a working copy.

Thanks for the help.

BTW, very nice program. It has already helped me to check some things I wanted to know about. I will likely buy this one. :thumb:

Thanks again.

6. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

You can't read CHM files from network drives. Why ? Ask Microsoft :)

7. carma

carma Registered Member

8. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

:) good tip, thanks for the link

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.