PeerBlock

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by zen_usuario, Aug 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

Oh this one was grab off your site PeerBlock-Setup_v0.9.2.r86.exe, so you you have fixed the problem then with another release *beta or final? The one I use is posted here for PG2 it always updates prior version gave me way to may issues. I normally don't run P2P on wireless laptops or using wired connection to the laptop, but I just been away from home base too long. This laptop is tweaked to handle anything though and it does pull now 1.56mb/s stuff, some more tweaking of the P2P client I should get 2mb/s anyway. Fine for now!

I'll run the PeerBlock again and see if it works with P2P updates..

2. tipstir

Mark,

Seems you need to fix some of the coding when you uninstall the software. Then try to re-install it. There is a bug saying code filter couldn't loaded in the most current version you have. To fix that I had to run two reg cleaners to remove the left over junk code when you don't see in PG2 when that gets uninstalled. Funny how all of a sudden PG2 won't update anymore. Well I gave this most current version you had told me about a try. It loads and updates but the government p2p is not available by default. Is there a reason why government p2p list feature is not available.

I'll see how it goes with this latest version of PB.

3. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

thats why i always uninstall any program with Revo Uninstaller. :)

4. tipstir

I had used Revo first to remove it. You can see it leaves a lot of old junk code behind in the registry with Ccleaner and Tuneup Utilities 2009 fix a lot of issues to get it work again.

Update Peer Block seems to be working.. I'll keep watching it..

5. dave88

dave88 Registered Member

Thanks for this update to peerguardian, it's working great for me. I may try using it with jetico 1 a combo that had problems in the past.

@ tipstir, it seems you are having some minor update issues, etc. Did you use the 'use pg2 settings' when you installed? It used my exact pg2 settings, list urls etc. Also afaik the gov list has been blank for some time now, though it will still report as updated.

6. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Using it on Windows 7 RTM right now seems to be working good alot of bugs I was having with PG2 seems to be gone with this remake.. long over due thanks bro. :cool:

7. MarkSide

MarkSide Registered Member

Tipstir: We actually have two "release trains" - Public and Interim. Public Releases, available from the main www.peerblock.com site, we try to ensure are as stable as can be. Difficult to define "stable" at this point in our development cycle, but they at least have had a lot more test-time than our other builds. Interim Releases are available from our Dev Blog, and generally contain fixes and new features that haven't yet had enough airtime to be considered stable enough for inclusion in a Public Release yet. Once a number of Interim Releases have been put out, and they've been sufficiently tested that we don't believe there are any excessively nasty bugs in there, we'll roll them up into a new Public Release.

As far as these releases go, I'd really define them all as at a "Beta" level. There are still a number of bugs in there, as per our Issue Tracker. That said we're still much more stable than PG2 RC1 is - there are so many bugs in that release I really wouldn't recommend anybody using it. We're trying to concentrate on fixing all the "Show Stopper" bugs right now, as we gear up for an official PeerBlock 1.0 release once we have a signed driver available. There are still likely to be some bugs even in that release, but it should be pretty darn good I think. (And is currently, in my admittedly biased opinion...)

The Installer/Uninstaller was nearly completely rewritten in recent Interim Releases, and I believe cleans up pretty much everything now - again, a heck of a lot better than the old PG2 installer. If we've missed anything let us know!

The "Gov" list was merged into the "P2P"/"Bluetack Level1" list a year or two (?) ago, which is why we removed it.

Dave88/Fajo/et al: Glad to hear PeerBlock is working well for you! As I said there are likely additional bugs in there, both known and unknown. If you run into any let us know! You can add entries to our Issue Tracker, discuss them on our Forums, or even just report them to me via email. Or here, or the PG forums, or wherever - it's all good.

--- Mark ---

P.S. Sorry for the "wall of text", I know that brevity isn't exactly one of my strong points...

8. tipstir

Thanks Mark!

So far it's working very well :)

9. Wildest

Wildest Registered Member

can this be run on a server, with clients connecting to it, similar to a proxy server like squid.

10. MarkSide

Not in its current incarnation, no. I'd like to build in at least a basic proxy service at some point in the future (probably in the post-2.0 timeframe, after we've overhauled PeerBlock to run natively as a service), but we're nowhere near there yet.

However, if you run a third-party proxy service on the machine running PeerBlock, we should be able to work in concert with that to filter all traffic flowing in/out of your network. If you start looking into that I'd love to hear about it!

--- Mark ---

11. tipstir

Mark,

P2P updates seem to be hanging for a bit....

12. MarkSide

Hmm, when you say the updates hang a bit, do you mean it sometimes takes a little while before the downloading percentages appear? This likely means it's just taking a little while to contact the URL from which to download the new list. We should probably update the message to state something to this effect - change the status to "Contacting URL" or something.

Anyways, other than that, I just wanted to let y'all know that we just last night released a new Interim Release of PeerBlock, one which actually includes a signed-driver! This means that if you're using 64-bit Vista or Win7 you won't need to test-sign the driver (e.g. with DSEO) or hit F8 during every boot to disable driver-signing checking - woo-hoo! Lots of additional fixes in there too, of course.

We're not quite ready to call this a stable 1.0 release as there're still a few bugs in there we'd like to address (see the "Known Issues" section of the main download page for details, particularly if you use Outlook 2010 or the MS Live Mail desktop client), but it's getting pretty darn close. Check it out here: PeerBlock r162 Interim Release if you're interested.

--- Mark ---

13. tipstir

Hangs and crashes when I exit the system. I haven't installed on the main gig downloader yet. PG2 updated okay yesterday. PB always update okay.

14. firzen771

never had an update issue to date with peerblock on Win7

15. tipstir

PB updates okay just when I exit the system it seems to crash or doesn't unloads itself after I shut down the program on exit then log out of OS.

16. firzen771

weird, not happening for me, it unloads itself fine here.

17. tipstir

I'll check it again.

18. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

i'm giving this program a shot because like some others here, iv'e had troubles with peer guardian. my question is this: when i installed the program, did it pick up my blocklists from the peerguardian program? it seems to have, unless peerblock comes with inbuilt lists from dchubad, spamhaus, bluetack, and dshield. can anyone comment regarding this?

also, to the developers, the work is appreciated :thumb:

19. firzen771

by default it has the same lists as peerguardian, but its suggested to change them.

20. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

what im saying, is that i dont use the default lists that peerguardian includes, i used some custom lists, and when i installed and cranked up peerblock, it looked as though it had the selfsame lists that i was using with peerguardian, so im wondering if peerblock maybe copied over my lists from peerguardian.

thanks

21. tipstir

To me it's a program that uses the same source code but it is improved. They both look the same.

22. dave88

dave88 Registered Member

Yes, it does copy your current lists if you already have peerguardian installed. I think it gives you an option? It's been a while since I installed it.

23. tipstir

Latest version version worked not it crashes. But PG2 good I keep that installed as PB acts up way to much. It does update but won't hide off the taskbar that's where it cause crash.

24. MarkSide

Hmm, don't suppose you could email me a copy of the peerblock.log file, a screenshot of any error-windows that popped up, and/or any peerblock.dmp file that may have been created? Tough to troubleshoot the problem without that sort of data...

Sorry it's been so problematic on your machine for some reason Tipstir. I actually had to load back up PG2 to try and check its behavior on something last night, and MAN it was painful. (Although admittedly that was on Win7, which PG2 runs much more poorly on.)

Other than that, yes, we will migrate over your old PG2 config if you select that option during install. Glad it's working well for most of you!

--- Mark ---

25. tipstir

I couldn't get back into the dL box. So I had to remove Online Armor under safe mode. I didn't see this reply otherwise you could have your log file. Image restore completed so prior Peerblock is back on. Just to let you know there was complete update then the main windows showing IP address then when I click on the X to remove the screen then BANG! Windows Crash message appear and PB won't remove the screen even saying don't send to MS. After a few attempts the PB remove itself. I had launched PG2 that updated and main screen appeared. Click on the X and main screen removed and back to normal.

Now with a fresh image I'll try it again and let you know? If it happens again?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.