PeerBlock... Pretty much dead?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by m00nbl00d, Aug 10, 2012.

1. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

For home users, the free version will provide more than enough protection. For power users who want more granular control, the ability to add their own private lists and who are in need of more frequent updates, the full version offers those additional features.

Either way, BR offers outstanding protection against rogue IPs and malware domains. :thumb:

2. javalter

javalter Registered Member

Yes with Bot Revolt free version you can use ip blocklists like peerblock.

3. trott3r

trott3r Registered Member

Thanks for that javalter

4. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

Giving Bot Revolt a try,
    My added lists don't seem to be blocking. Does the "Safe Connection" overrule my added lists? If it does is there away to over-ride that feature?

5. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

Well gave BotRevolt a try, and it did not block any HTTP address in my list.
    Went to some shady websites, MBAM did some blocking, but not BotRevolt. Not one flash or notification, all the Protection window said was some bogons were blocked. I have most countries block in my list, and was able to get through.:mad:
    Reverted back to PeerBlock, for now.

6. guest

guest Guest

The HTTP block ability is now called "incognito", but is only available on the paid version.
    The only way to keep the list updated with the free version is to reinstall the program, they may add the ability to manual update the list in the free version.

7. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

Thanks, so the free version is pretty much useless.
    Went ahead an ordered a one month try out, now having registration problems (accepting the key).
    Talked to support, suppose to get back to me today.

8. trott3r

Thanks for the info guest it does look like the free/trial version is pointless when we have peerblock.

:(

I dont mind paying something for software but their prices seem high for what it does when peerblock is free.

9. NormanF

Peerblock is FREE but its abandonware. BotReveal is being kept updated and its price compares favorably to most security products on the market. If the added features are worth the price, then we can expect continued improvement of the product. The company has an incentive to keep its users happy or go out of business! :isay:

10. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

My emails have gone unanswered, when no solution was available. Not that happy.:mad:

11. NormanF

Sorry to hear about it - the developer should respond or follow-up here on Wilders. o_O

12. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

Thank you, now I am very happy!!!:)
    BotRevolt works so much better vs. PB.
    I hope Wilders can start a new thread for BotRevolt.
    Thank you Norman for picking up the pieces of PB.

13. NormanF

To be clear, I'm not the who picked up or is associated with the BR project, LOL!

Good to hear your issue appears to be resolved. If you would like to begin a new thread, let us know how it goes for you! :thumb:

14. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

Impostor :D.
    Anyway they have good suport.
    By the way who the hell r-u? :D

15. Moore

Moore Registered Member

That's the lamest thing I've ever heard of. Good attempt though to try and exploit a popular open source program for $$$.

If the commercial version is ads free (according to the botrevolt site), does that mean the free version is ad supported / adware ?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  16. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Peerblock still works very well for me on Windows 7 X64. I create some of my own blocklist. I also believe it is worth paying for a subscription from ipfilter X to use with peerblock -http://p2pblocklist.net/-

17. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Now that I'm using PeerBlock again (cause BotRevolt Free is lame), what's the best way to make it startup? Start with Windows checkbox seems to lack the update window and tray icon (not sure if it started at all).

Currently, I have it in Task Scheduler (Run with highest privileges), but it only works with "Run only when user is logged on". Also, I have to delay it for 10 seconds, because the tray icon sometimes doesn't show up if started when other items are loading.

I've yet to test this (or forgotten), but how well does running peerblock.exe as SYSTEM work? That should be fine in multi-user environments right?

18. guest

guest Guest

Yes it's ad supported.
    To keep it updated I have create a direct access to the install file so every time I want to update it it takes 10 seconds to do the whole process.

I have made some interesting questions to the support service, I will post the answer here, or probably I will create a new thread for it.

19. Snoop3

Snoop3 Registered Member

from the website:

http://www.peerblock.com/news/139.html

hopefully they get rolling again :D

20. Ashanta

Ashanta Registered Member

Bad news !

Black Listings are paid for now also ! :oops:

21. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

Money, its the only thing that can keep it alive. I personally hate to shell out money for something that use to be free. Hope and change, how's that working for you? :D

22. J_L

J_L Registered Member

It's actually once a week. You can try looking for other mirrors and manually adding them in List Manager.

I've also bypassed it once using an online proxy to download and then Add File in PeerBlock (was re-enabling an outdated list I occasionally use). VPN didn't work with with restarting peerblock.exe for some reason. :p

23. Snoop3

Snoop3 Registered Member

imo this is actually good - the list compilers need to be paid and some money towards PeerBlock development will be excellent too. And its only $9.99/year. Compare it to the Bot Revolt program that is supposed to be a fork of PeerBlock and thy want almost $50/year for mostly the same lists(that they aren't even compiling - hopefully they will distribute some to the list makers).

also, the HostsMan and the hosts file compilers should do the same thing, charge about $10-$20 a year for subscription to the lists and kick some towards HostsMan development. plus both programs should have an easy way for the users to send back false positives to the list compilers.

24. chachazz

chachazz Updates Team

25. trott3r

Has anyone tested the new beta yet?

Just the inclusion of ports blocking/unblocking is interesting but of no interest to me so I will stick with the old one for now.

Glad its back though :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.