Peer to Peer Safe?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by allizomeniz, Jun 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

I've heard a lot of negative stuff about peer to peer networks so I thought I'd see if anyone here might have the straight dope about it. Is it possible to use it safely? What's the best software to use if I decided to give it a try?

Thank you.

2. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I don't anyone here will give you advice on how to access warez or other illegal data, which primarily what P2P is used for. Yet, bittorrent can be used for legitimate reasons, true, but that is not likely the case, is it?

3. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

What would you want to use it for? That will probably determine how safe it can be

4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Don't run executable / script / anything that installs to your computer. Look at the file extension. That's all I can say.

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

There are legitimate uses of p2p and that's fine, but I would not use it to steal anything, if you do, you're on your own....

6. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

P2P as a technology is as safe as the internet it runs on.
    Clients are generally pretty secure, BUT BUT BUT, make sure you double check you are downloading from an official source, there are many p2p clients out there that have been injected with badness (trojans, spyware and spamware etc).
    As mentioned another risk is in the choice of files you choose to download. Unless you are 100% sure of the source (e.g. the Ubuntu ISO torrent linked from ubuntu.com website), reguardless of filename and descriptions, until the file has downloaded you will never be 100% sure what you have downloaded.

Cheers, Nick

7. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    P2P/torrents have in fact become one of the more widely used methods of spreading malware and bots.
    Two words..."Poisoned Content"
    Yes people will..hmmm...."inject", or "package"..that song, or movie, or game...with their own code. So you go download that latest song you want to get, or latest movie you want to see, or latest game or warez you want to install...you play the song, or watch the movie, or install the software..and sure it will play/sound/look/behave just like you hoped. But unknown to you...a "bot" may have also been sneak installed onto your computer. ;) ;) ;)

It does happen, frequently. I fix a lot of computers, and I've fixed many that have been from torrent/p2p/warez users....that have often told me..."Yeah, soon as I played that song I just downloaded my PC went wonky"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.