Peculiar ESET/Windows update behavior this morning

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Carbonyl, Sep 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carbonyl

Carbonyl Registered Member

This morning I received a warning from ESET that my Operating system was out of date. Sure enough upon running Windows update, there was a new "Important" update that I needed to download. After downloading and installing it, though, ESET still insisted that my OS was out of date. Looking at the detailed message in ESET revealed that ESET believed I was missing a "Critical" update still. I neglected to note which KB number it was.

While I was investigating further, ESET then stopped giving me the "OS out of date" warning - though I was unable to locate which Critical Update it was talking about, and only an "Important" update was installed.

Do ESET and Windows update refer to updates with different classifications? And further, is it possible for me to see which updates ESET wants me to install even in the absence of the "Out of Date" warning?

I'm trying to discern if ESET was just a little slow in understanding the updates were applied, and the "Important" update was the one ESET wanted - Or if something more sinister is going on, and something is hiding updates from me in Windows Update.

2. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

3. dwomack

dwomack Eset Staff Account

Some Windows updates will require multiple restarts to run. So, you'll install and update, be prompted to restart and then shortly after restarting, you'll be prompted to run an update again.

Generally, when you click 'here' at the end of the message stating that Windows needs to be updated, the window that pops up will show the updates that are needed. When you click 'Run system updates' you will be taken either to the Windows Updater or Windows Update website and shown which specific updates need to be installed.

Again, while we'd recommend keeping your system as up to date as possible, if the notifications are annoying or too confusing, you can modify or disable them using the link that siljaline listed.

4. Carbonyl

Carbonyl Registered Member

This morning's update did not require a reboot. I am aware that some updates require a reboot. This was not the case this morning.

I prefer to keep the notifications on. I don't find them bothersome or confusing. They're very straightforward in what they say, and in fact I find them useful, to keep me alert of Updates I might've missed otherwise (ESET is faster than WU when new patches are released).

Again, I'm wondering why ESET would say I hadn't installed a critical update when Windows Update claimed only an "Important" update was available - And then after installation of the "Important" update, why ESET would still claim the "Critical" update had not been applied. I appeared to me as if ESET were seeing an update that Windows Update would not allow me to access.

Do Windows and ESET use different terminology for the same updates? Would ESET call something "Critical" while Windows calls the same patch "Important"?

5. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

Is the problem persisting after restart?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.