Peaceful Co-existence

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Howard Kaikow, Dec 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Can KAV 6 and NOD32 be installed in the same OS?
    I ASSuME that one, or the other, would have to have automatic detection disabled.

Are there any other AV with which NOD32 can peacefully co-exist?

2. Red Dawn

Red Dawn Registered Member

KAV and NOD32 can't work together.. If I remember correctly, both will tell you that the other is installed and to UN-Install before allowing you any other options.. You could install and use NOD32 and use the KAV Online Scanner as I do, so technically, your using both..

http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner

3. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Howard, why not use KAV's on-line scanner or one of the other free webscanners to back up NOD? Less chance of any possible conflicts.

Personally, if you are looking at extra layered protection, I would look at an AT or a HIPS to back up a main AV rather than install a second one on the same system.

IMHO, NOD and KAV are good enough not to have a second installed AV as backup.

4. Howard Kaikow

I saw somebody state that he was using both, but being a doubting Thomas, I do not believe.

Although trouble oft seems to find me, this is one area in which I will not go looking for trouble.

5. joel406

joel406 Registered Member

Just stick with NOD32 2.7 kaspersky is a good scanner but a terrible system hog. I've seen reports of Kaspersky taking 3 hours to scan 80 gigs. I got 720 gigs on my main rig and large drives on my other 5 boxes here at home. At work I got 20 rigs all running large drives and scan times that long are counter productive.

6. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Iv'e seen a lot of those posts. But in all cases one was used with real time monitoring enabled and the other as an on demand scanner with real time monitoring disabled.

7. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I tried NOD and KAV once. I know some people get by with it. When I tried it, I was told to get a certain version of KAV and cut off the real time protection. I did that but they must have been fighting behind the scenes because everything slowed to crawl.

8. ejr

ejr Registered Member

I have no idea. However, would you really want to? I would say that even if they could peacefully co-exist, that this would be overkill. NOD and KAV are both good enough to use as stand alone AV protection in my opinion.

9. Rob E

Rob E Registered Member

I'm sure you don't mean to pass along inaccurate information, as that doesn't serve anyone's best interest. So... with the thought of "helping" you though you may not need or want that help, I'll pass along what I know.

FWIW, KAV5 may have been a resource hog, (I can't say... had issues with it back in the day, and never used it) but KAV6 is an entirely different story. On most properly configured systems, it's surprisingly light & fast! Most if not all users of it will agree. Doesn't seem like you have direct experience of it on your PC(s).

Regarding a 3 hour scan time for 80 gigs of programs and data; I can't say (I don't have that much). But... I CAN attest to my experience of KAV6 vs. NOD32 on a "smaller" system. (On Demand), Nod is about 25% faster on the initial scan , but subsequent scans with KAV6 - set to scan only "new & changed files" - result in a scan that takes just a minutes. It's incredible.

Seems to me that in your situation, not taking advantage of KAV's greatly improved scan methods (via iSwift & iChecker / new & changed files only), is counterproductive for you. Anyway... just wanted to share my own experience. Bottom line for me is that Nod is still a bit faster in real time, but KAV isn't far behind.

Robert

Last edited: Dec 2, 2006
  10. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Please remember this a NOD32 SUPPORT Forum, lets keep the discussion to co-existence of the 2 pieces of software.

Blackspear

11. Rob E

Rob E Registered Member

T'was never lost on me. Please understand, it wasn't meant as anything more than a "play on words" a pun, if you will - There was no challenge intended, just meant to inform - factually and objectively. I appreciate your understanding!

Robert

12. Blackspear

No worries Robert.

We just need to keep to the topic at hand in a Vendors Support Forum.

Cheers :D

13. cerBer

cerBer Registered Member

I have tried that - for fun - with KAV5, and found that there is a possible driver conflict. Even if KAV is *completely unloaded, you can still have serious problems with NOD and the whole system.

Unfortunately, due to some very questionable position of Eset, you cannot completely unload NOD, but anyway, there is enough evidence to avoid such setup.

I have tried the same thing again, with KIS6(firewall + antivirus) - in attempt to operate KIS firewall component together with NOD32 online scanner, but similar driver conflict still exists.

As a good point though, in both cases it was possible to restore normal operation of system by simply uninstalling either of AV's.

14. Howard Kaikow

Being a "hog" and "speed" are two different critters.
    I do not view KAV as a hog, at least compared with my experiences with NAV 2006, and earlier.

However, I've done two scans with KAV.
    The first took a bit over 34 hours, I think the definitions were as of May 2006.
    The second took a bit over 38 hours, using the definitions in MP1 which I believe were as of 1 Nov 2006.

NAV 2006 takes about 13 hours.

I do have an old slow system, but the relative times are of interest.

15. Rob E

Rob E Registered Member

Well here's a different perspective; I have what I consider to be an older system. Pretty much SOTA circa 2003/2004, and maybe 30%-40% as fast as todays latest dual core PC's. It's a P4 3.2 GHz. (mildly) OC'ed to 3.6 GHz., running with 1 Gb RAM. About 40 Gb of programs & data spread over two drives, and with each of the AV's (on-demand) scan settings at their tightest configuration... NOD32 scanned my system in just under 30 minutes. KAV6 scanned the same in about 45 minutes. Later KAV6 scans (using new & changed files) ran in about 5-12 minutes though that's an unfair comparison.

Robert

16. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

old versions of KAV have played nicely with NOD 32. You must install KAV first and(if possible) only select the on-demand and update components. Then install NOD 32.

17. Howard Kaikow

My system is way older than yours.

But comparing scan times is not so simple as each AV scans different things.

Until I purchased KAV, I did not realize that, accoring to Kaspersky, NAV scans ZIP files but not other archives such as CAB files, AND KAV scans within email files, NAN does not.

On my system, NAN claims to scan about1.2 million critters, but KAV claimed to scan a bit under 2.7 million critters.

That difference is more complex than stating that KAV scans more critters.
    I think I kbow what KAV scans as each can be listed in the log.

So KAV , e.g., when scanning a MSFT Word template, each project is treated as an "archive", really bad terminology, and each project component is counted as a separate critter.

As an experiment, I created a MSFT Word project wit just one component.
    Asking NAV 2006, to scan tat 1 file, NAV reports a scan count of 12! Thus far, I have no idea what NAV is counting.

At this time, I do not have KAV installed, but I believe that KAV would report a scan count much less than 12 for that file, most likely just 1 or 2.

So, even tho an NAV scan takes 12-13 hours and a KAN scan takes 38+ hours, one does have to take into account that KAV scans many more critters than NAV, heck, I have oodles of archives other than .zip files.

I guess, one needs to ask what KAV scans that might not be scanned by NOD32, and vice versa.

18. Blackspear

Howard, I asked politely above that the topic remain as that described: "co-existence of KAV and NOD32". This is a NOD32 SUPPORT forum and discussion of support related issues regarding NOD32 are permitted. Discussions of scanning times for NAV, KAV, AVG, Poopscan etc are not. Please take such discussions to the other anti-virus software forum where you are welcome to discuss such things to your hearts content.

Blackspear.

19. joel406

joel406 Registered Member

Ok Blackspear I think this is on topic(I Hope)

Topic co-exsistence of Kaspersky and NOD32 on a single system.

Not advised to run multiple antivirus programs. Is possible they could view each other as a treat as AVs are generally very intrusive on the system.

I suggest running only one AV solution on any system.

My preferance is unimportant. But all systems need AV, firewall and spyware protection.

20. danieleb

danieleb Registered Member

In my experience it is possible. I'm running NOD as resident protection and use KAV as backup, since I have licenses for both (NOD & KIS, actually). The thing was I had to install KAV first, because during install it complained about NOD being installed and would not continue installation. I deselected all the protective components of KIS and installed the scanner only. NOD on the other hand didn't seem to take notice of KAV (not running in real-time) during install. So far I've seen nothing that suggest these two won't get along on the same machine, but I disable AMON when scanning with KAV just to be sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.