PE not working on Windows 2003 Server

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by Cold, Jan 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cold

Cold Registered Member

I'm trying to demo Port Explorer prior to purchase, but cannot get it to run on Win2k3 server. I have tried it on 2 diferrent systems, one at home and one at work, and niether will run. Installs just fine, but will not open/start after the required reboot. I have installed, uninstalled a couple times but with no luck. I'm sure i have the latest version that claims to run on Win2k3 server. I have also disabled my AV apps, but still no luck. Anything i'm missing here? Would really love to try this out.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Cold, No claim made for Server 2003 :)

In fact DCS are fully aware of the problem and Windows 2003 Server is thus not stated : http://www.diamondcs.com.au/portexplorer/

I ran PE beta tests on Server and reported the problems, DCS is addressing this but the problem appears to be the way that MS has re-jigged part of the TCPIP stack, investigations still on-going :(

I am sure it will be addressed in a future release.

Sorry for any inconvenience - Pilli

3. Cold

Cold Registered Member

Sorry to hear that. :(
    From reading a pinned post I thought it did support win2k3...
    Quote:
    "Port Explorer v1.800 is now available! This version offers a new utility bug fixes and speed increases over the previous builds. It also incorporates a few user requested features and tweaks.

Here is whats new:

* Now fully compatible with Windows 2003."
    etc...

Anyway, thanks for the info and I'll keep on the look-out for a new version that addresses the problem.

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Yes, I see that now as well but I think it was a typo as DCS site does not state 2003 compatability.

Darn! And I have just remembered this :) I have not tried the full 1.800 as I have been running a test server since 1.8 was released.

There was also the possibility that it could be an LSP problem. If you are running a programme that utilises LSP (NOD32 for instance) then running LSPfix may work & allow PE to run but break the other app :(

I have closed the server and installed PE which is now running but NOD32's driver would not start and still does not but I can run it manually after start up.

But now the server I was running will not function with an exception breakpoint error

I shall have a go with LSPfix tomorrow.

Real time support this - :D

5. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

We had it running fine on our Windows 2003 server, but it doesn't seem like everyone is that lucky. We are still investigating why this happens.

-Jason-

6. Cold

Cold Registered Member

Any luck here? I would love to buy this app, but still not working on any of the win 2k3 systems ive tried it on.
    Thanks again.

7. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

No not yet, we might be releasing a new version of Port Explorer (a small update) sometime in the near future, so I will take a look at it then if we do. :)

-Jason-

8. James K

James K Guest

Hi,

I tried Port Explorer on Win2k3 and it caused a few headaches as some Windows services started to crash. Unknown to me at the time, it was Port Explorer's fault. I run Active Directory and DNS Server which was affected the worse.

If anyone gets ntdll.dll errors left right and centre on Windows 2003, uninstall Port Explorer!

9. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Thanks for your input James,
    I stlill have not managed to get over the problem of runniing PE on Server 2003, hopefully Jason will have some time to sort it in the near future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.