PE not seeing local connections

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by Czerno, Jan 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Czerno

Czerno Guest

Hi !
    I tried P.E. on a computer with both internet (ADSL, dial-up) and a local connection. The local connection was over DCC (direct parallel).
    Surprisingly P.E. seemed to monitor and report only TCP/IP connections over the ADSL modem, none of the connections to the local peer were seen :(

Is this regular, or would there be a way for PE to "see" TCP/IP traffic to/from the local ? Did I miss a setting ? Does the unusual fact that the hosts are connected over DCC explain why it is not seen, or is it the same problem over say, an ethernet ?

I must say this problem refrained me from buying PE, otherwise very exciting software. Also that trial was with last by one version (1.:cool:

Cheers

--
    Czerno

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi there,
    not sure what happens:
    You do have a connection and do have traffic on your local connections?
    I have a small network via a router and i do see the connections, processes and sockets responsible for those.
    SSDPSRV.EXE among others.
    Look if you have all netstat sockets showing too, i see a *SYSTEM socket involved here, i see among others port 139, 445, and a few more connecting etc.
    Hope this helps a bit?

3. Czerno

Czerno Guest

Hi, Jooske!

Yes there was traffic and unseen/unreported in PE.

OK, that's how I'd expect it to be. Maybe P.E. by design can't see IP connections over a parallel cable? Just a wild guess, and I hope Jason or someone DCS clarifies this.

It did help, thank you! I can't however experiment more for now as my P.E. demo is overtime.

Cheers

--
    Czerno

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi LinuxPenguin, I removed your post because it was off topic and is now subject to review.

Pilli

5. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Reviewed and will not return.

regards.

paul

6. Czerno

Czerno Guest

Please ! Back to my post subject !

After this disruption, can someone answer my original question ?

TIA

--
    Czerno

7. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Czerno,
    Yes sorry for the delay but we will have to await a DCS reply on this.

Cheers. Pilli

8. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Port Explorer should still work correctly in this situation. It doesn't matter what connection methods you are using as long as the applications you are wanting to monitor are TCP/IP based.

What Port Explorer shows in it's list is the current snapshot of TCP/IP activity on your computer, not only listed from Port Explorer's own DLL but also from the operating system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.