PE Eval stops ezAntivirus email scan?

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by wmerrin, Mar 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wmerrin

wmerrin Guest

Hi...

I just installed the evaluation version of Port Explorer tonight and email scanning by eTrust ezAntivirus quit loading on bootup. I uninstalled PE and email scanning returned... reinstalled PE and email scanning stopped again. Uninstalled PE and email scanning returned again. System is WinXP/SP2 with ezAntivirus and ZoneAlarmPro.

Any suggestions or are these programs incompatible?

Thanks,
    Wally

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

I am not sure if eTrust uses LSP, if it does you could try LSPfix from here: http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

Other than that I would suggest re-installing EZ over the top of your current version.

As far as I am aware there are ni incompatabilities with eTrust

HTH Pilli

3. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Hi,

Can you try uninstalling both PE and the AV, and installing PE first ? Reboot, then install the AV again. Its probably a non-conformant LSP issue again, where the LSP doesn't play well with others being installed after it.

4. wmerrin

wmerrin Guest

That worked... thanks. I took the opportunity to reinstall with the latest version of ezAntivirus and everything seems ok now.

Wally

5. wmerrin

wmerrin Guest

It seems to be ok now except both window logging and file logging aren't working. I have enabled both, but nothing shows up in either. The log file shows PE starting and stopping, but no data:

--[Session Started at 22/03/2005 - 00:33:45]--
    --[Session Finished at 22/03/2005 - 00:43:41]--

Last night logging was working but ezAntivirus email scanning wasn't. Tonight email scanning is working but logging isn't. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Wally

6. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Try looking at your firewall logs, make sure that PE is not being blocked somehow.

HTH Pilli

7. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

And did you reboot after the installs?

8. wmerrin

wmerrin Guest

I don't see anything in the ZAP log that shows PE being blocked. I found one entry where an outbound connection from PE was allowed when I did a DNS lookup.

Yes, I accepted all the default reboot prompts.
    I uninstalled PE today and reinstalled it with ezAntivirus in place and lost email virus scanning again but PE logging was working again. This is with the latest version of ezAntivirus (7.0.6.7). So it looks like whichever gets installed first determines which program loses functionality - but either way one of them loses something.

Thanks,
    Wally

9. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Yep, sounds like their AV "LSP DLL" for the proxy method of scanning, is causing a problem. Maybe it's stripping out something, doesn't seem to make much sense.. it should be passive. It should not affect PE logging, no matter what they are doing - the only time packets should disappear is if they are assembled and found to be a virus!

We'll be glad to try and help if they can look into the problem, but it sure sounds like something slightly amiss in their side of things..

10. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Would running the LSPfix after the second program install help in any way in this case?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.