PE don't like my AOL(cant access web)

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by spydespiser, Sep 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spydespiser

spydespiser Registered Member

Hi Chaps :D

I have a problem that has arisen since D/Ld Port Exp. I am currently evaluating TDS and thought why not D/Ld PE + WG and eval. all at once and poss. buy all 3 together, however after 3 hrs of backtracking and not being able to connect then restore pointing and trying various things i have narrowed it down to. :)

I put 3 day old RP in and everything fine and i can connect within seconds-(old WG and PE remains are in a folder, no sign of an exe. and all DAT files have WMPlayer icon?? but i can connect) :D

I put 3 day old RP in and everything fine and i can connect within seconds- I then re-D/Ld Port Explorer, and install, reboot - everything looks ok, I open AOL, click sign on and it tries to connect, after tring to connect to first number it gets a knockback and tries to move on to next number in my list but cant because Browser crashes.( this happens every time) :'( Edit- just having it on my system causes this!

I am an XP User and am using AOL 7(v8 is 33MB and i dont have patience at the moment to D/Ld and retry scenario) :)
    and am currently using freephone numbers while waiting for B/Band changeover :cool:

Any ideas/theories/workarounds welcome :D :D

Edit- Oh yeah and Thanx :D :D :cool:

SpyD

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

What is RP?

First time i hear this problem, and be asured yiou're not the only AOL user.
    What i think to understand from your description you installed all three TDS, WG, PE, and with the other two no problem together with the AOL browser and now with PE AOL refuses to connect to internet?

Did your firewall ask for any of them to grant internet access?
    Do you see outside connections in the PE console, netstat, processes, can you ping, whois, resolve, all those outside world connections? Can you use the IE or morzilla and other browsers, see and collect emails via Outlook Express, all that, surfing to hotmail and other places with your other browsers, just to know how your system is behaving with these tests?

Also download LSPFix from http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm and use that to remove unwanted entries from your LSP stack. It could be PE wants to be installed before your AOL, like it can be in case of some firewalls.

3. spydespiser

Thanx Jooske:)

Only just got up :D :D

RP is Restore Point
    I am just about to look in to your suggestions and try a few of the things you mention

Have had TDS a week,no probs, but if i D/Ld PE(narrowed it down to just doing a working restore Point then doing only a D/Ld of PE),install and reboot as told to when i reboot my AOL browser will not connect( i am currently using a couple of BT freephone dial-up numbers provided to me by AOL for connection while waiting for B/Band upgrade)o_O

When i get this problem, firewall ask nothing as there is no actual connection to net, PE shows a couple of ports connecting but others relating to my online attempt fail(will investigate exact details further!),so there is no connection to use my other browser( Which i have only just started using)
    I will try above suggestions and let you know of results, hopefully it will be a bit more concise :D

Thanx for your time and patience :D :D :cool:

SpyD

4. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

I will keep impatient till your problem is solved!
    Hope other AOL users can jump in too.

Those dat files icons are rather annoying, have that here too and if it does cause too much trouble you can in WMP disconnect that relationship.

Does PE itself start fine on your system or are there problems too?

5. spydespiser

Sorry Jooske :)
    You'll have to forgive me if this gets c**ked up :D

Scenario 1
    PEdemosetup on comp. - everything works

Scenario 2
    Install,reboot,icon on desktop but not touched,can't connect.i.e. no welcome screen,no browser, no nothing justs fails

Scenario 3
    Uninstall it, no reboot,AOL accesses Browser screen,I get welcome but can't online
    Opera-"cannot locate Remote Server"

Scenario 4
    Reboot, AOL can access Browserand can get online
    Opera- Firewall request,I say yes,I am online, everythings works. o_O

This is the bit i'll probably c**k up!

Attached Files:

6. spydespiser

No.2

Attached Files:

7. spydespiser

No.3

Attached Files:

8. spydespiser

No.4

Attached Files:

9. spydespiser

No.5

Attached Files:

10. spydespiser

No,6

Attached Files:

11. spydespiser

And my LSP

Attached Files:

12. spydespiser

Once i have istalled it everything else seems to be fine, I just cant use internet :(

Maybe i have to go round reconfiguring stuff but am new to all this setting up/fine tuning settings stuff o_O

I have read documentation and all other threads for tips and ideas but i still dont know whats happening o_O

AOL is still active in my processes and evrything, it just won't go into welcome which means i have no access to anything online i.e. no actual connection,i am in browser but offline

I will wait for my new B/Band changeover and try again but i just thought i would bring it to your attention anyway, i was going to upgrade my browser but it takes 3hrs nearly
    The only thing i haven't tried yet is Uninstalling browser and reversing installations like you suggestes and will do that now :)

Just thought i'd post these in meantime so you know where i'm upto :)

Thanx a lot
    SpyD :D :D

13. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Did you also press the "fis" button in the LSPfix? jsut in case it would fix if necessary and not doing any harm if nothing has to be done there at all.
    Could even want to be installed before your firewall or maybe your firewall has to accept more outgoing traffic then it expected till now; look which rules in the firewall might be blocking PE and maybe with that the browser(s) too. Does no other browser access internet?
    Did you try for instance the alternative browser in the TDS script examples?

You made sure all your other AT/AV scanners were closed when you installed PE and if you were off line while installing you might have liked to close the firewall to. PE goes to the bottom in your system so it's rather important everything is closed and do reboot after that install, even if you're not on a win9x system!

14. spydespiser

Hi Jooske
    Sorry it took so long i reinstalled AOL and forgot my password :D :D :D

Latest update
    I Uninstalled AOL/Installed PE/Rebooted/Reinstalled AOL/Still no connection :(
    Uninstalled PE/Opened AOL/Connected :D

I have only just got back online so have only just read suggestions so i will proceed to do it that way now
    I did not do anything with it as i wasn't sure whether to or not so i just posted image of findings :)
    No! o_O :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
    All installations have been offline!
    I will D/Ld another copy and ensure all AV/AT and such are disabled as well

Thanx again Jooske :D

SpyD :D :D :D

15. spydespiser

Update:
    Have done everything i can think of and everything you have suggested(think so anyway)
    The only thing i haven't done is completely uninstall everything net/AV/FW/AT and so forth related.

I will do above tomorrow and hopefully all will be well.

Thanx again Jooske for your help try to eliminate this problem,

Maybe Dodgy looking geezer knocks on door in morning with Dodgy looking parcel that says AOL B/Band modem and after setup problem goes away :D

Thanx again :)
    SpyD ;)

16. DolfTraanberg

DolfTraanberg Registered Member

hmmm, I've never heard of a happy AOL user :rolleyes:
    :D
    Dolf

17. spydespiser

Hi Dollefie :D

From my recent experience you probably never Bloody will! :mad: :D

I was gonna steal Mr Blaze's thread title and call this

" I would like to stick my foot up M/soft AOL but " LOL :D

I only went with them cause the ads and promo's for certain stuff i thought i would be interested in, i.e. certain online games required a BT line so i forked out £100 for landline that i only need for net connection and now they have amended them to include NTL which i already have necessary fittings for and just needed turning on! :mad:

Ah well we live and learn! :eek:

Might as well stay with em for minimum 12mth :doubt:

Then i might just swim to states and literally stick my foot up them :D

Take it easy :cool:
    SpyD :D :D :D

18. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Hi,

what firewall are you using?

-Jason-

19. spydespiser

Hi Jason :D

Mcafee v4.0(i think)

I am on freephone dial up which works fine and i can connect in secs
    but after PE install my AOL browser which i need for initial connection to verify my passwords etc. tries to talk to network and doesn't get that far? o_O

SpyD :D

Edit- Oh yeah,firewall, i 'm not as fully up to speed with all the fine tunings of F/W's but i went in to it and gave it the same filtered rights as my other net S/ware i.e. AV,Browser, if it asks it can have it. but it doesn't ask,nothing does because their is never no initial connection,AOL7 gets a knockback of the network(should i be giving it unconditional rights on certain ports or something?) o_O

SpyD :cool:

Edit : all i have done is install, from what i understand it is for monitoring activity and then if you choose then you can tweak a couple of things(i forget what)

I am currently using AOL 7 as v8 is a 3hr D/Ld,but i use Opera 7.2(now) but need AOL first to establish my connection
    Could there be a poss. default setting in PE that Don't like AOLv7?
    SpyD :)

20. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Hi,

The firewall is the problem, the easiest thing to do would be to uninstall it and use a different, free, more compatible and more powerful firewall :)

Im sure the group over here can recommend something, if you have no or little experience I would say ZoneAlarm free :)

21. spydespiser

Cheers jason :)

Will do

Was looking at alternatives anyway and had been following the old threads, i only bought it so as to have at least a bit of protection long enough to upgrade my other stuff as i only connected last week

Thanx for reply :)

SpyD :D

22. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

I'd recommend Look n Stop as long as you know a little bit about networks and such, they have a forum on Wilders too and have pretty good support.

The best thing about Look n Stop is its size and how it uses extremely little resources whilst providing nearly all the features of other much larger firewalls. Look n Stop is also one of the best firewalls security wise.

LooknStop :- http://www.looknstop.com

-Jason-

23. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Maybe the McAfee firewall has a refund policy if you have it only since recently?
    Not sure if you can test to dial with other ISPs (free?) with your other browsers to test if you get that part working between PE and fw?
    Our main ISP had something equal too, some integrated software with browser, their menu, webmail and all the lot, caused lots of problems with ADSL so many people don't use that, just a nornmal browser and via the web surfing to their pages if we need and just login normal if we need.
    So if you have that choice, worth a try.

24. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

:Dlol lol lol aol strikes algain lol

25. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Blaze, this reminds me you had AOL and PE together long time ago, didn't you? Never heard you having problems with that combination either?
    I really wonder if somebody knows a hidden or forgotten setting, maybe you remember something important?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.