PDF XChangeViewer with Tracker ASK Toolbar

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Dermot7, Feb 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mvario

mvario Registered Member

That's what it's for. It just doesn't install, you put the executable where ever you want and run it. If you want a link somewhere you create it yourself. Nice and clean.

2. Dregg Heda

Dregg Heda Registered Member

So if I run it in my admin account it will only appear there? I will have to run the executable again in my standard account? Do portable browsers work properly with programs like prevx safeonline, trusteer rapport and keyscrambler? What about sandboxie?

3. mvario

mvario Registered Member

Well, if it were me, I would create a subdirectory in Program Files, and put the exe file there. Then put a link somewhere, for example the desktop. To make it accessible to another account I would check the permissions as admin and make sure the other account had the necessary privileges to run the program, and make another link on the desktop folder for that other account.

I don't see why a portable version would behave any differently with those programs you mention than the installed versions.

4. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

What's as good if not better than XChange Viewer that isn't giving the Ask Toolbar?

5. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Nothing that I have found. :( Many like Foxit but I just don't care for it. IMO, PDF XChange is much better.

I pushed at Tracker as best that a user can and they refused to change the default (Ask Toolbar installation being pre-checked.) They claim that they need the income to support the development staff. True I suppose but it's still a poor way to furnish a product...

6. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

Whenever I install anything new, I keep my security apps running, whether the installer likes it or not. This includes SSM and my firewall. In this type of situation, it makes all the difference.

I installed the zip file version 2.0.49.0, which contains a standard installer and an XML file. SSM prompted for each process that was part of the install. After the "select language" dialog, SSM displayed this prompt, which I blocked.
    ask toolbar.gif
    The installer continued on normally. There were no attempts to call out. The PDF viewer works great. There are no "Ask" related files or registry entries. In addition to the more conventional security tasks, classic HIPS helps you filter out junk like this.

7. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

I tried Foxit a few months ago and never really got happy with it.
    Thanks.

8. Dregg Heda

Thanks for responding mvario, Im gonna give this a try!

9. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

PDF-XChange is light compared to Adobe Reader, and performs great. Just uncheck the radio button for the Ask toolbar and install it. Then go to your registry cleaner and delete the two files there, and enjoy your PDF-XChange Reader. :p

10. Dregg Heda

What registry cleaner do you suggest? Ccleaner?

11. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I use jv16 Power Tools. I understand that Ccleaner is popular also. :)

12. BJStone

BJStone Registered Member

Which two files?

13. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Look through the results of the reg cleaner scan for 2 keyloggers labeled ASK.

14. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

even if unticking ask toolbar,it goes to your registry.
    i even found it with the old regseeker.

15. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Dunno folks what you are doing. The MSI (x86 and x64) certainly has no Ask toolbar or whatever similar. Use that and move on? :rolleyes:

16. Dregg Heda

Did you check the registry just in case it installed something ask related there, like it does for the exe even after you tick no?

17. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

If you mean beyond the search providers (where I fail to see any harm and I don't use them anyway) - then no, it doesn't install anything.

18. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

It's not a bloody virus. :D If an ASK file is a left in, it isn't going to hurt your computer. It will sit there with all the other stray files. :)

19. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

20. CiX

CiX Registered Member

great tool :thumb:

21. acuariano

hey majoMo...thanks great app...looks good.,hope it works too in foxit reader too.

22. acuariano

can anybody confirm thst this app remove all asktolbar references

23. Dregg Heda

According to a previous post in this thread, if you run the pdfviewer exe, even if you untick 'install ask toolbar' it will leave two registry entries which attempt to call out when you are online.

24. HAN

HAN Registered Member

The only thing I have seen occurs during the installation process only. I have never seen it happen anytime beyond that. If anyone has seen it call out to Ask after installation, it would be helpful for some details to go back to Tracker Software with...

25. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Right. I think I mentioned earlier that we could delete the two registry entries with your registry cleaner. While I'm on the subject, I was looking through my Outpost Firewall Host protection the other day, and found 3 ASK files that were included in the Host list to protect. How do you like that. They cover all the bases. I deleted them. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.