PDF viewer/ word processor/ email for Vista ?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by acr1965, Sep 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Does anyone know if PDF-Xchange viewer is compatible with Vista? The site does not really come out and say so and their paid version just goes through XP. I essentially want an alternative to Adobe viewer on Vista and I really like PDF-Xchange but if there is another alternative I would like to know that as well.

Also, I will need to ass a word processor and email client to Vista (it is supposed to arrive later today). Besides the M$ offerings, what is available? Is Thunderbird Vista ready? Any others?

Finally, I have been looking at OpenOffice but am not real sure I need all that as of now. Maybe something like AbiWord? But, again, it does not look like there are any recent additions that say it is Vista ready. Just a word processor w/basic stuff and spell check may do it for what I need.

Any other office software programs that work well in Vista would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Sumatra PDF works fine in Vista. Foxit PDF Reader works too.

Thunderbird and The Bat work in Vista.

I dont know about AbiWord, its probably would work though. If not Im sure Vista has some sort of compatibility mode you could try.

Also when you install OpenOffice you can choose to only install Writer (its equivalent of Word) or any other component. I think its great.

4. acr1965

Well I did some checking and as far as pdf-xchange, it looks like their standard and pro versions run with vista but their lite version does not. I am writing them an email to ask if the free version runs on vista and will post when I get an answer.

As for abiword, I got a reply from them that says they have made some changes which make it work with vista.

5. acr1965

FWIW- pdf-xchange free works with Vista. The "lite" is a different product altogether. I am running the free viewer on Vista right now...and everything seems a-ok so far.

6. Thanasis159

Thanasis159 Registered Member

Foxit Reader from me!

7. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Hello,

PDF Viewer (free) : Foxit reader
    Word processing (free) : OpenOffice (just install Writer if you need just that)
    Mail Client (free) : Mozilla Thunderbird

All work in Vista.

Regards,
    gkweb.

8. Arup

Arup Guest

PDF-XChange Viewer has many more features over other readers including typing and filling of forms, best of all its truly supports hyper threading and you can even tune that specifically in options and it recognizes and uses multiple CPU, unlike other viewers, this one doesn't choke on heavy image PDF files.

9. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

I'm certainly impressed by PDF-XChange Viewer :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.