PDF expolit?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Biscuit, Oct 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

You'd better kill that Adobe and use Foxit Software products:
    http://www.foxitsoftware.com/

Smaller company , Smaller products , Ligher products , NO DINOSAURUS files , the free Reader is only 4 Mbs and one exe file only (not 120+ Mb like Adobe Reader 8 ) . Advise your clients on it , too.

Smaller company , less exploitable (in case something comes up)

And on the topic , I don't know.

3. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

4. sasa843

sasa843 Registered Member

Hi.

I think this is ESET signature for that exploit dated on October 23.

PDF/Exploit.Shell.A

5. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

Thanks Guys

Hitech - I tried Foxit but didn't like it. I found it displayed a PDF file with noticeably reduced quality.

6. ASpace

ASpace Guest

May just a little bit worse than Adobe . I simply got tired of Adobe's dinosaurus programs and numerous updates (especially after v8 )

7. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    :thumb: Yup...very light program, opens in the blink of an eye. I've started detesting Adobes Acrobat when version 6 came out...and those glacially long "opening" times..especially when opening a PDF through your web browser.

And nagging updates.

8. dannyboy

dannyboy Registered Member

another vote for Foxit. Acrobat has become the perfect example of bloated software, absolutely dreadful program now.

If I have to use Acrobat I download one of the earlier versions from oldversion.com

9. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

Apparently that signature doesn't catch all variants, as NOD32 misses the sample I have.

10. DennisTh

DennisTh Registered Member

+1 on Foxit. Not only is it faster and much lighter, it's not near as "network busy". We've been using it for over a year and have had zero problems. :cool:

11. GAN

GAN Registered Member

Foxit is really good, but for some that might not be an option. There are several features of acrobat that foxit doesn't support, but for most users that only need to read some simple pdf's it's a very good option. I have to use acrobat 8.x for that reason and even if huge it takes about 1 second to start (a bit longer the first time after a reboot) so it's not that bad to use. I found version 7 to be much slower.
    So i would also find it interesting to know if nod32 protect against this exploit and a recommendation for other programs is really not interesting at all. I do believe that the latest update from Adobe fixed that exploit though.

12. sasa843

sasa843 Registered Member

According to virustotal screenshot apparently yes, it doesn't detect all variants. Maybe they will add some sort of generic signature for this exploit in the near feature.

13. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

14. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

15. TaInTeD_SnIpEr

TaInTeD_SnIpEr Registered Member

16. dannyboy

dannyboy Registered Member

17. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Which is one more reason I would get rid of Adobe :thumb:
    This is ridiculous - release a vulnerable patch :D :D :D

18. oldshep

oldshep Registered Member

I don't think you are correct in saying the patch is vulnerable. If you read the article provided by dannyboy closely, it appears that the new PDF exploit uses the problem fixed by the patch - trying to infect folks before they update Acrobat reader to the new version 8.1.1.

From the article:
    "Adobe issued a patch this past week and the first thing Russian criminals did was examine it, extract the problem it fixes, and have now unleashed a flood of PDF spam with an exploit in it that will install rootkits and Trojans on your computer."

"Adobe fixed the flaw Monday and released Acrobat Reader 8.1.1, and the company is working to fix the 7.0.x version as well."

"Dunhan said the exploit emerged in the wild of the Internet within a day of Adobe issuing its patch and they are counting on considerable lag between the release of the patch and individuals updating their computers."

19. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Patches may introduce/reopen vulnerabilities. But, you misunderstood the article. It says that malware writers have reverse engineered the patch to see what it's fixing. Then, they release the exploit code and bet on unpatched machines, which are going to be a lot. Very few people keep third-party applications up-to-date.

20. ASpace

ASpace Guest

You are right . I apologise :thumb:

21. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

No need to apologize :)

22. oldshep

oldshep Registered Member

For those interested in a simple method of keeping third party apps up to date, you might try the Secunia Software Inspector site:

http://secunia.com/software_inspector/

23. net1

net1 Registered Member

Current NOD32 2621 (2007.10.2:cool: still can not detect

Sample file has been sent.

~ VirusTotal screenshot removed per this Policy. Please submit infected files to samples[at]eset.com. - snapdragin ~

Last edited: Oct 28, 2007
  24. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Bloated is an understatement to say the least, and whats worse is it continues to swell with each new version :ouch:

Might be the reason i reverted all the way back to Reader v.5 :cool:

Seems these malware exploiters focus mostly on the latest releases anyway especially if they even go after the patches?

25. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

how do PDF's print - after all,that's their PURPOSE originally - their web use is secondary and quite honestly a pain

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.