PCWorld - Free vs. Fee

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by De Hollander, Nov 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

Okay, okay, they were going to rate Avira first and avast! second, but... what's this? The scanner is called 'Luke Filewalker'?
    Now Avira has officially been added to my list of AV's to never use. This is a rather silly pun and to be honest I wonder if the coder is 12. They cant take their on-demand scanner seriously so I wouldnt trust them with my security either.

Goodnight everyone! :D

2. Bambo

Bambo Registered Member

This thread is like a bunch of girls discussing if Britneys latest outfit is cool or not :) BLUEo_O? OMG, OMG...

3. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

I would agree with you, just replace Britney by Taylor Swift or Miley Cyrus ;)

4. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

The purpose of naming a scanner something like that is to prevent malware from shutting it down. Look at AVG's Rootkit scanner for instance. Its a random hash of numbers and letters and it changes all the time. Good try but logic went out the window on this one. Perhaps you should just stick to the topic at hand to make things easier for you.

BTW even if you had a valid point you can see from my sig I also dont use Avira.

5. Bambo

Bambo Registered Member

Guess Avira users are screwed now malware makers know about top secret Luke Filewalker name. Damn, has been kept quiet for so many years. I did not see the valid logic until you pointed it out whitedragon.

6. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

I am also of the opinion that AV's function ('detection and removal') is more important than the GUI itself in rating an AV.

However, I fail to understand as to why the fuss (for the lack of another word) simply because the author rates one AV over another based on GUI or whatever other factor? Why bother in the 1st place? It's all a matter of personal preference and analysis...

I am not defending the author but fact is I don't see the author being heavily biased by claiming/hinting that an AV with a poor interface is of a low grade quality. The author didn't place it as the worst/lowest in the rating either.

See the positive notes? The author indeed had given those 2 AVs the credit they deserve. Perhaps the '2nd-place' tag in comparison to Avast and Norton respectively may not be a favorable notion to some here but apart from that, the author didn't say those AVs were 'crappy'...

I'd just wish people take things in a calmer manner. I'm stating my mind as it is, not intending to offend anyone whatsoever.

7. ParadigmShift

ParadigmShift Registered Member

1. First Place choice for Free AV
    Pros
    Well-designed interface

2. Second Place choice for Free AV
    Pros
    Excellent malware detection and blocking

Hmmm....The car that got the trophy has a nice dash, but the other one will get you there and back. ;)

8. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

Well I do use Avira (and others, though mostly avast!) but I'm now worried about the possible rise of LF-targeted (see I only dare use the "random" o_O initials this time) malware now that I've let the cat out of the bag. :D

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  9. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I do use Avira although I trialled MSE for a while. I also think the GUI needs a make over but I'm not wringing my hands over it.

10. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

sadly, some members appear to be 12 y.o. aswell... :thumbd:

11. De Hollander

De Hollander Registered Member

Looking at a gui of a av is in my opinion a matter of personal taste. So getting a consensus on that subject is like waiting for a

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.