PCworld av value ratings

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Franklin, Mar 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

2. Happy Bytes

Happy Bytes Guest

As usually in rubbish way done. They do not even check what they write or upload. Try to click on Antivir Report and you get a nice "An error occurred on the server when processing the URL." - Amateurs.

3. Randy_Bell

Randy_Bell Registered Member

Kaspersky has the best signature-based detection bar none, everybody in security circles knows this. However the mag-reviews have a lot of subjective elements {price, interface, ease-of-use, etc} and their detection rate tests are usually terrible so as HB suggests it is not a reliable source; AV-Comparatives is the respected source here for comparisons of competing products, not PC-mags .. ;)

4. Happy Bytes

Happy Bytes Guest

Well the detection test is based on AV-Test.Org for the most of the PCWorld things. But the biggest problem is always what makes the redakteur out of the core test results. How does he "colorize" them. And that's always the worst part of such articles when Antivirus Amateurs (They are!) trying to explain things based on others work which they do not even understand.

5. Randy_Bell

Randy_Bell Registered Member

I stand corrected about that {although if they are saying BD has better detection than KAV I know that must be wrong}. I know that CNET used to use "simulated viruses" {don't know if they still do that} and they used to give KAV a very low rating -- that was when I concluded they {and "reviews" like theirs} had no clue .. :D They had absolutely no understanding nor mention of things like runtime unpackers, etc.

6. Durad

Durad Registered Member

7. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

You got that right.I was on a site looking at antivirus reviews and by the time i hit the bottom of the page, Zonealarm Suite had already been recommended 5 times.Gimmy a break!.

8. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Here's what CNET does at present. http://reviews.cnet.com/Labs/4520-6603_7-5020816-10.html?tag=dir

9. Lollan

Lollan Registered Member

Their test setup is what an ideal user would have. Unfortunately, the mainstream user has half the power of that system in most instances. :(

I'd really like to see more reviews done with a range of hardware used. I'm a tech for a local ISP and rarely see a computer with over 256MB and anything higher than a Celeron processor come in.

10. pykko

pykko Registered Member

oh come on...NOD32 is not even included :gack:

11. beads

beads Registered Member

If you want a purely unbiased review of AV protection I would suggest ignoring the amature testers and go to a review shop like West Coast Labs: westcoastlabs.org

You can plow through as much information as you want but at the very least they really put these packages through the ringer.

I have to agree that Kaspersky has the best definitions available and by far the quickest to update their signatures. Trend usually comes in second.

With Symantec and McAffee both having been trounced in the media as of late for declaring war on MS Office I would have a problem with recommending either of those packages as of recent. Then again, why would I want to take a recommendation from PC Magazine or CNet? Well, especially, CNet. PCMagazine is a general light read of the industry though they do a decent job for the home user base. Ahhhh... if only Byte Magazine were still with us - lol.

- beads

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.