pctool fw v6 not recognized in security centre (vista)

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by argus tuft, Oct 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. argus tuft

argus tuft Registered Member

I have already posted this on their forums, but as far as I can tell they are pretty much dead, most topics are ignored by staff and allowed to die, so i thought i'd ask here :)
    SInce updating the firewall to v6, Vistas security centre has constantly hassled me about windows fw being turned off, and no other firewall being installed.

So, I tried turning the security centre service off, just to shut it up, but then Vista hassles me about that, too. :(

Does anyone know of a possible fix for this? at last resort simply disabling the alerts would do, but it seems that the 'reminders' aren't managed by the security centre itself, so i have no idea how to do this.

Any help / ideas would be greatly appreciated :)

2. dcrowe0050

dcrowe0050 Registered Member

Are you saying that you have already disabled the Security Center?

3. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

4. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

FWIW- I have PCT 6 in Vista HP and Security Center shows it running. I agree with the PCT forums in regard to their firewall- seems dead. I made a post there a week ago with no response.

The link below may be of some help in the future-

http://www.pctools.com/firewall/help/6.0/

5. argus tuft

Hi, the link seemed to be exactly what I was looking for, however, 5 minutes after reboot Vista now thinks that not only do I have no firewall running, but it's lost Avira too. :(
    Im not too sure how long it normally takes for vista to rebuild the list.

6. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

argus tuft, if the Security Center remains bare, try rebooting again. Some argue that if a firewall or AV is running correctly, it does not matter what the Security Center shows. In most cases, deleting that Repository folder fixes the problem.

If you followed the instructions to the letter, and made a restore point, you can always go back to the way it was before.

7. argus tuft

Hi again :)
    To be honest, I'm not too worried about it, as you say as long as the programs themselves are running...
    It's more that the constant alerts every reboot get quite annoying, hence my earlier attempted disabling of the security centre.

8. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

argus tuft, did anything appear in the Security Center? Did you try rebooting again?

9. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

If you are only annoyed by the alerts, you can turn them off.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.