PCSL Security Solution Performance Review 2013 October

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by malexous, Jan 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. malexous

malexous Registered Member

2. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I wouldn't mind hearing from Dr.Web users on this one.

3. hamlet

hamlet Registered Member

I don't know about Dr. Web, but it is shocking to see ESET rank so low in a performance test. That goes against my personal experience using ESET at various times for the past ten years. It is always the lightest solution for me and is about the only thing I can use on my current four year old laptop.

Perhaps this is why I always take performance tests with a grain of salt. Everybody's configuration is so different that it is hard to say what product has the least performance impact for any one individual.

Is there one AV or anti-malware solution that is light for everyone? What about WSA?

4. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

The reason I asked about Dr. Web user feedback is that there is so little other test data available.

5. hamlet

hamlet Registered Member

Yes, you are correct. The one time I tested Dr. Web for a few months, it was also extremely light. That was some years ago, however.

6. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Not much to say about this IMO terribly biased Chinese performance review towards their 'homemade' products.

Now talking about programs I use, even while I agree Dr.Web is somewhat heavier than FS and GData, according to their 'verdict' I don't think the Doctor is worse than TrendMicro (at least for the latest TM version I tried).

Also I just can't agree with the bad results for Avira, just no no.

Too many charts, confusing, I took a quick glance on them before quickly jumping to their overall score where even Windows Defender is brought to its knees... lol!

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Kudos to Ikarus, very impressive indeed.:thumb:

8. AVusah

AVusah Registered Member

This company's tests are always out of whack. Windows Defender worst in performance? Give me a break.

9. Inside Out

Inside Out Registered Member

I'd say they don't matter at all, but this is the second performance test where Eset scores poorly. I'm starting to think that ESS 7 might have a rare bug that can slow it down ridiculously when it surfaces, much like Microsoft AVs.
    Not inconceivable.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  10. mattfrog

mattfrog Registered Member

These results are so diametrically opposed to my experience I can't begin to take them seriously...

11. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

yeah wow this test is a mess imo no way these are real world results. not a chance. and it has zero to do with that i use eset. im talking about the whole overall ratings of everyone.

12. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

Performance reviews :rolleyes:

where the absence of any advanced and hence more resource demanding detection mechanisms makes you a winner. This information is only remotely useful, if you know each tested program in detail and know how much in-depth their realtime protection really is. If you don't, this is misleading at best.

13. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

And the version eset tested seems to be beta!!

Not a final version.

14. malexous

malexous Registered Member

I think the biggest problem with the test is the system idle part, as some products will wait for inactivity before running certain tasks.

Are you people comparing your experiences like for like? Does using more CPU/energy on average necessarily mean it will slow down the computer more?

15. ance

ance formerly: fmon

I second that. ESET has always been the lightest AV for me.

16. Nevis

Nevis Registered Member

Eset and Win Defender too low in rating.... I am skipping reading this.

17. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I don't understand the value of this test. For instance, if a test of malware detection uses a small number of samples then there are questions about sample size. But somehow a performance test can run 15 minutes or visit 5 links and a conclusion is drawn from that? These tests need to be ran after a system scan and reboot, minimum. Also the time for testing needs enlarged to several days instead of 15 minutes.

18. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

quite clearly this

19. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Missed out this test.
    Thanks for the update.

20. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

Agreed. Windows Defender is always the first thing I disable on Machines. The very first thing.

These results mirror my experience, especially this week in testing.. Eset felt like it offered some 'drag' at places in my system, I uninstalled it, but I did like it. Kaspersky felt much lighter than previous years, and the results of this test confirm it. F-Secure is light, and fast in some areas, and not so tiny in others, this test seems to confirm that. F-Secure runs great on systems with slow processors, and based on this test - we know why - it uses very little processor power.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.