PCSL Anti-Virus Test - Results in PDF file

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Az7, Jul 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Az7

Az7 Registered Member

2. subset

subset Registered Member

Re: IKARUS vs Kaspersky IS 2k9 vs Kingsoft IS 2k8 vs Trend Micro AV vs Twister Anti...

Hi,

"Trojan: 980 Virus: 7 Worm: 53" :eek:
    What a strange test, why so many viruses?

Chees

3. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Re: IKARUS vs Kaspersky IS 2k9 vs Kingsoft IS 2k8 vs Trend Micro AV vs Twister Anti...

I see this tread getting closed! :doubt:

4. The_Duality

The_Duality Registered Member

In before the lock! :D:p

5. Kyo9009

Kyo9009 Registered Member

Re: IKARUS vs Kaspersky IS 2k9 vs Kingsoft IS 2k8 vs Trend Micro AV vs Twister Anti..

me tooo

6. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Why? o_O

It's not a product comparison thread, and was mis-titled as a this vs. that vs. the other. It's an AV test with results provided in a PDF file.

Whether people think it is a "good" test or not remains to be determined.

7. Baz_kasp

Baz_kasp Registered Member

We already discussed this test on the klf... even the author admitted that they were very new at this game and that the methodology could do with improvement...

8. pcslinfo

pcslinfo Registered Member

yes
    we are young and a new comer in the testing period , so we need more feedback and comments to improve our testing system.
    we have decided to modify some testing details.
    And I will release a new manual in my website.
    Thank you for you advice both here and KLF

9. DjMaligno

DjMaligno Hispasec/VirusTotal

At least they're showing clearly the way they're doing the test, the setups they're using and identify themselves correctly to be contacted by referenced people.

10. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Perhaps you meant "why so few?" They seem to be rather new at this so maybe that's all the specimens they have accumulated thus far.

I wish Ikarus were not so pricey. I tried it. Relatively small footprint. Very easy to learn. Intuitive & efficient GUI. Frequent updates. Doing quite well in all recent tests. AND the esteemed Blackcat had some nice things to say about it, too.

Emsisoft (A-squared) has cut a deal to use the Ikarus AV. I think A-squared will use Ikarus on-demand only -- perhaps along the same lines that Threatfire uses PCTools AV.

Emsisoft has said (in this forum) that both the paid & free versions of A-squared will be using Ikarus.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  11. pcslinfo

The samples added in the list is part of our database. we have made totally four list. You can check it by visiting my website www.pcsl.info
    And we use fresh samples for testing each month and we will not add old ones which had been used before.
    Thank you for your consideration:)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  12. pcslinfo

Thank you for all your understanding of our job.
    We will absorb all your suggestion and advice even criticism to improve ourselves.

For example, as many our readers said it is not good to give different score on trojan worm and virus. And in nowadays, many samples have multi-behavior capabilities , so it is getting harder and harder to judge whether a sample belong to trojan to worm. So we decide to cancel this ranking system .

But, we will stick to the rule that reflect to the real status. That Trojan is the main body of all kind of threats. So we will give out an approximate proportion of trojan virus worm(we do not add other threats into our database). And for rootkit, we will judge them through their behavior.

Thank all of you for advice.
    I will be here discussing with you:D Have a nice day everybody:)

13. DjMaligno

AV testing is a quite complex and tricky matter, and as with other fields, impossible to do without getting criticism from one or other people :)

Get this URL:
    http://www.amtso.org

You'll get there soon some points about how to improve your testing methodologies.

14. pcslinfo

Thank you DjMaligno,
    I have tried to contact:)

15. DjMaligno

Oki, if you don't get feedback, send me an email to info@virustotal.com and I'll make you get in contact with AMTSO.

16. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

I've had one problem with most malware tests (except for AV Comparatives) in the way the final results are posted. In your test the detection percentage is given to 2 decimal places. Although this percentage obviously relates to the AV's detection rate for your sample population, it seems most people will infer that a product with a 95% detection rate will be superior to a product with a 93% rate.

As a test can only include a small subset of the entire population of Malware, the proper way of presenting the data would be the inclusion of an uncertainty factor based on the sample size. But since Statistical Analysis SUCKS BIG TIME, perhaps you can go the AV Comparative route and just set up various tiers (Advances +, Advanced, etc). It would parallel real world usefulness as well as saving Typing time.

17. hex_614

hex_614 Registered Member

They should include eset nod32, norton and AVG.

18. pcslinfo

We are thinking about a differert ranking system, thank you very much :D

19. pcslinfo

we are in process of inviting them to join the testing. It takes some time for the AV industry to know us and what we are doing:)
    Thank you for your consideration:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.