Pcpitstops Optimise 1.5

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ellison64, Nov 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Ive used pcpitstop site in the past for general testing and found it pretty good.However on a recent visit ,i downloaded and tried thier "optimise 1.5" which is supposed to check your network settings and advise.ive noticed though that it is behaving rather like a rouge piece of software.For example it actually changes my network settings ..i.e rwin ,mtu etc to crap values and then suggests i use its values.Before running optimise my rwin was 37960.After the scan my rwin default recieve window is "0".Anybody tried this software? and found similar result?I think its a bit naughty to change my settings and then suggest thier own.
    ellison

2. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

For a long time I used TCPoptimizer.
    Some day, after a fresh installation I decided to see what the performance is without these optimizations.
    Guess what? It doesn't make any difference for me. Same speed, optimized or not.

3. ellison64

Ive found defenite improvements on 98 changing rwin and mtu.I believe XP does it dynamically so it probably isnt that much difference..or i guess you wouldnt notice if you had a high broadband connection.For example ive always used an mtu of 1500 but since my isp has "upgraded" its network servers an mtu of 1500 is dropping lots of packets.Ive just changed it to 1430 which seems to be the highest mtu without fragmentation.
    ellison

4. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

My router has the correct mtu setting of 1492.
    Since the LAN speed is faster then the WAN speed, I guess the Windows MTU doesn't matter much.
    I'm on 6 Mb/s highspeed DSL

5. ellison64

Ohh id love to have 6 megabytes.Im so far from the exchange that 1 is my limit :(.It hasnt been so bad over the last year ,been getting 942kbps constant.Last few weeks its from 287 up,so im considering changing ISPs....again
    ellison

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.