PCMag review of CIS 4.0

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by smage, May 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smage

smage Registered Member

2. adik1337

adik1337 Registered Member

lol ... I know somebody who would cry once he reads this :D ... thanks for sharing.

3. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

use the FW and nothing else, basically

4. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

they are getting better. give it another year.

5. smage

smage Registered Member

The prevention aspect of CIS is good though.

6. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Comes w/ a price though (all those popups). The removal of course is abysmal, no suprise given the AV engine there.

7. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

For me unfair review. Sandbox may be buggy but "Defense+ imposes too many popups on the user, and doesn't distinguish valid programs from malware" is not valid. Comodo's hips are powerful and can be a weapon for the power user or can be configured to allow everything from the already installed applications if the PC is clean for the popup haters

To be honest though I never tried the AV function.

8. smage

smage Registered Member

They have tried to decrease the number of alerts by introducing the sandbox, but whether CIS is quiet enough now is a subjective question. It depends on the user.

Fortunately now we have a variety of choices available to us, so one can easily switch to another product which suit his needs better if he is not happy with a particular product.

Prevention is better than cure but Comodo needs to improve its cleaning abilities as well. However restoring a clean image seems to be the best solution when dealing with an infected system as no AV can clean properly.

Last edited: May 1, 2010
  9. gery

gery Registered Member

Brocke another year is way to long for some. :D :D

10. adik1337

As long as Comodo doesn't accept thier faults, they wil never be able to fix them...

11. icr

icr Registered Member

Like what faultso_O

12. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Lol, be careful this turns out into a flame war :rolleyes:

13. TrojanHunter

TrojanHunter Registered Member

I have to agree with PC Mag here on some good valid points. When I was recently testing CIS4 against some malware, I was presented with pop-ups that basically said something along the lines of only run this, if it's your everyday application. I had little pop-ups, that actually told me about Malware behaviour being suspected. The Anti-virus still remains weak, despite the usual garbage "Yeah, it's going to be one of the best by the next release". I can see the power of Comodo from an advanced user point of view, but some of their rivals have made greater strides in my view of producing security that doesn't annoy the user. It's a free application in Comodos defence and despite my gripes the software is improving.

14. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

does it say CIs comes with an ask toolbar?

15. adik1337

Your not asking me to waste all my time listing down these things, are you? The review is there ...READ IT!

Last edited: May 1, 2010
  16. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

The only fault I can think of is being a jack of all trades/master of none.
    This goes for any program out there, instead of making 3-4-5 different programs concentrate on one thing at a time, get it right, then and only then should you move on to the next project.

17. adik1337

+1 ... and they better improve their QA ... a couple of times they released a buggy new version and then cramming to patch it up. :thumbd:

18. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

"he Comodo firewall puts all your system's ports in stealth mode so outside attackers can't see your computer when it connects to the Internet. That's no surprise—any firewall that can't do that is a total dud."

This conclusion is very unprofessional. Look like Neil doesn't really understand things well. Stealthing ports is not any essential for a personal firewall.

19. icr

icr Registered Member

I thought you had found some faults in comodo not by Neil from PCMag:cautious:

20. adik1337

Last edited: May 2, 2010
  21. icr

icr Registered Member

22. adik1337

good for you then :D ... in fairness to comodo, their firewall is really good, just don't use the D+ (dumbest HIPS I ever encountered) and don't use the sandbox and AV of their suite if you value your computer that much :D

23. icr

icr Registered Member

Infact I even removed comodo and just installed Dr Web and DefenseWall v3:D

24. adik1337

lol ... nice move on your part then :thumb:

25. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Brocke,

I doubt that the AV component will reach top-class protection level within a year, reason for believing this is

Chances for their Anti Virus becoming top notch are really low IMO, after four years they still have not developed good generic malware detection mechanism.

With the clan like company culture and current AV ideas of Melih, their development strategy is not likely to be changed. Irony is that the arguments Comodo uses why AV's lack protection is their own major pitfall in developing a top tier AV.

Comodo Firewall/HIPS has a very good chance of becoming a very good product for moderate knowledgeable PC users also, due to the usability enhancements of the Sandbox and integration with CTM.

Regards Kees

Last edited: May 2, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.