PCLOS 2010 available

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Longboard, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  2. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

And still no x64 :(

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I heard they were working on one, but I'll believe it when I see it....

4. linuxforall

A bit too late, most major distros have x64 out now, Ubuntu had it long while back.

5. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

I'm being lazy not opening your links. Are they planning to charge for pclos in future then?

6. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

One of the distros I like to introduce linux with to family and friends.

I would maybe use it more if there was x64

7. Posting from it now - the Zen Mini version. Frankly, I'm a bit disappointed with it; I'm not sure if this is due to the nature of PCLOS or Zen Mini itself, but compared to its parent Mandriva it looks as though it was put together with duct tape. acpi=on was misspelled at the LiveCD's boot prompt ("apci=on"), one of the daemons crashed on first boot, the panel crashed when I tried to invoke the clock's preferences screen, packages required for the firewall weren't installed by default(!)... It's fairly functional despite being a bit barebones), and faster than Ubuntu, but I would not recommend Zen Mini for novice users - too much stuff is missing or badly configured.

(Also, there's no readily apparent way to change the icon theme. :p )

8. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I didn't see anything in the links saying so, nor in the forum, so I doubt it. I'd certainly never buy anything they release.

9. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Being a self-admitted Ubuntu fanatic I will say that PCLOS is one nice distro. Everything worked right out of the box. I haven't tried this latest release but the one previous was very impressive. I wouldn't switch to it from Ubuntu, of course, but it runs a strong second. I much prefer it to Suse or Fedora.

Later....

10. linuxforall

PCLOS has always been my weak spot, after I ditched SuSE 8, I switched to PCLOS for good and stayed with it till Ubuntu came with x64 and then rest is history but if PCLOS does x64, I will definitely give that a spin.

11. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Just dl the 2010 kde iso. Can't wait to burn it. Then run the LiveCD.

12. Update - I'm posting this from the LXDE version, and I actually like it. A lot. There are only a couple things missing by default:

- A PDF reader. Dunno why, epdfview is small enough to fit on the CD.
    - The firewall! You still have to download Shorewall to get it working! That's pretty dumb IMO, but the rest of it is good enough that I'll let is slide..

Other than that it's great - faster and lighter than Windows XP even, and so far I've yet to encounter any really obvious bugs.

Edit: and OMG it has Chromium in the repos! And even SRWare Iron! I love you Texstar.

Edit again: AND it comes with GCC installed. Now that is cool, GCC installed by default is very rare in "user-friendly" distros.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2010
  13. Okay one concern here... PCLOS 2010 has libtxc_dxtn in the main repos. That's great for people who do gaming on low-powered chipsets, but it's also a pretty flagrant patent violation; and while I personally think software patents are the silliest thing ever, several large governments would argue otherwise. It would probably be a good idea for the PCLOS devs to put libtxc_dxtn and the like in a separate repository, a la the debian-multimedia repo.

14. korben

korben Registered Member

Bill Reynolds has announced the release of PCLinuxOS 2010.07, the latest update of the popular beginner-friendly Linux distribution and live CD: "Quarterly updated CD images of PCLinuxOS are now available for download on mirrors worldwide. The quarterly release currently comes in three editions: KDE 4.4.5 SC edition, GNOME 2.30.2 edition and LXDE edition. Other editions to follow shortly. Highlights of the 2010.07 release: Linux kernel 2.6.33.5, KDE Software Compilation 4.4.5, GNOME 2.30.2 and updated LXDE desktop. PCLinuxOS includes all of the latest popular applications such as Mozilla Firefox 3.6.6, Mozilla Thunderbird 3.0.5, Dropbox, Pidgin 2.7.1, KTorrent 4.0.1, GIMP 2.6.9, Digikam 1.3.0 and Amarok 2.3.1.

15. linuxforall

Really drooling on all the latest goodies except for x64, truly disheartening.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  16. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Been running PCLOS kde 2010.07 for a couple days. Best Linux experience ever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.