PCLinuxOS 2010 beta1

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by TheQuest, Mar 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi,To the interested,

PCLnuxOS 2010-beta1 has only been released seven days and is at No 3 on DistroWatch, Page Hit Rankings DistroWatch

With KDE 4..4.1 desktop.

PCLinuxOS Home Page

It is what it says Radical and Simple :D

They say it is beta1, I would call it more a RC. :eek:

Take Care
    TheQuest :cool:

2. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

Just wandered over here from their forum. Yes, so far the reviews are very positive, and the screenshots I've seen point to a nice looking distro for the final. This is only my opinion, but there is a vibe there that the devs are uncomfortable with too many people having access to the beta release because it results in a lot of complaints on the forum from users who did not bother to look up the definition of beta. I would assume this does not apply to wilder's, since the linux users here are, for the most part, advanced users. Actually, I already plugged the beta on another thread.

Edit: Some info from Tex:

3. TheQuest

Hi steve161

:thumb:

I did a search for both PCLinuxOS 2010 beta1 and PCLinuxOS 2010 for the last seven days before I posted, and it the search did not find anything, So I started this thread to those who might like read about it or try it.

The beta's are always release to everybody to try.

I would call it feedback more then complaints, ;) the more feedback there is the more bugs can get sorted. :D

Take Care

4. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

Hi TheQuest:

My plug was actually in an Ubuntu Lucid thread. I was hinting to mrk that a review may be in order.

I hear you ;) Props to the mods over there, but there is so much feedback from the regulars, that any more from new members may strain their limited resources. And of course, the few posts that start with "I overwrote my new windows 7 install with your 2010 and am having some problems"

5. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

LOL still no 64 bit support from PCLOS. That's quite silly.

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, that's why I won't use it....

7. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

Knowing how you feel about PCLOS I would imagine anything they do is silly....

now

Why don't you look up 32bit vs 64bit Linux distro downloads and see how silly your comment is.

and

Yes I'm willing to bet you that there are more 32bit machines in this world than 64bit.

so

While we're being silly, tell me why all the major Distro's offer 32bit versions ?

They said a 64bit version is in the works, but focus is on getting the silly 32bit version out first.

8. TheQuest

Hi chronomatic

As FastGame said:- New PCLinuxOS 2010 ? :eek:

Take Care

9. clansman77

clansman77 Registered Member

Beta 2 released
    info

10. andb

andb Registered Member

I couldn't resist, i downloaded beta2... In the past i have used PCLOS2007 but found it bad at the time. However this 2010 version really was amazing for me, no distro except openSUSE 11.2 and Chakra has impressed me so much.

I will await the mini release where all bloat has been taken away before i make a final judgement, right now i would at least remove/change 90% of the default installed software.

11. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

I tried PCLinuxOS Gnome beta 1 yesterday evening and was pleasantly surprised when it automatically installed the BCM4312 rev 09 wireless driver that my laptop runs. Normally I have to do it manually, at least in Ubuntu. Nice. Also, it was a very painless install. Very easy. They seem to have all their ducks in order and my laptop ran very well. The only two complaints that I have is the choice of the default theme (right clicking on an item produced some visible selections plus some that were "invisible", so to speak, due to the poor color choice). That was easily remedied though with a theme change. The other complaint was the lack of an automatic software installer (at least none that I could find). Clicking on an rpm (NeroLinux) would open Synaptic instead. No big deal really, for I resorted to doing it the old-fashion-way. Other than that, it was a nice experience (better than Fedora, Mandriva, or Suse, that's for sure). They've got a nice distro on their hands. If I wasn't so devoted to Ubuntu I might even consider running it full time.

Later...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.