PCLinuxOS 2010.12 Gnome - Rushed out too early

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

I've written a long review of PCLinuxOS 2010.12, with Gnome desktop, covering many topics like live session, installation, look and feel, Wireless connectivity, multimedia - Flash, MP3 playback, Apple trailers (iTunes QuickTime .mov), Microsoft Media Service (MMS), Compiz, dual monitors and projectors compatibility, applications choice, problems including unneeded programs, too many cleaning utilities, bad fonts and wallpapers, missing themes, broken package management, and more.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/pclinuxos-2010-2.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. adam993

adam993 Registered Member

Yaa, PCLinuxOS 2010.12 KDE is really nice and easy, but GNOME version is ugly
    :thumbd:

3. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

A correction.

Mrk, PCLinuxOS has dropped support for 0pen Office. Now you need to download lomanager from the repositories to install the latest version of Libre Office. Linux distros are making the switch. The RPM Libre Office package can also be installed via apt-get through the terminal.

4. NormanF

I would add the minimal E17 is probably the best done Enlightenment version. If dark colors are not your thing that can be easily customized.

The distro also has Openbox and Wiimi window manager environments for those looking for a light GUI environment setup for very old hardware while retaining the ease of use for newbies for which PCLOS has become famous.

It used to be a KDE-only distribution but the little big distro now offers every choice of desktop environment for every possible need and in each of them, the look and feel is the same.

5. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

Flash crashes in all Linux Distro's that use the latest version of flash...have doubts ? well visit the forums ;) If that's the first time flash has crashed on your system, count yourself lucky. I use Linux Mint and Suse 11.4 and flash crashes daily.....

Zen Mini is the official PCLinuxOS version of Gnome, not the version you tested.

Multimedia has never been 100% out of the box with PCLinuxOS, one always needed to install W32codec & libdvdcss2 from the repo. I wonder with your upcoming review of Suse 11.4 if you complain about multimedia not working...or instead, you give a short tutorial on how to get it working ? guess we'll have to wait and see.

"Package management, beyond repair " hmmm, guess you tested at a bad time, beyond repair ? I doubt it- http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php/topic,87377.0.html , http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php/topic,87378.0.html

Other than the things above, I have no problem with PCLinuxOS 2010.12 Gnome being a bad release :D

6. NormanF

Good point about the codecs.

Due to legal issues - codecs are not installed on typical distros but they are available in the repositories.

As for flash, that needs to be updated to address stability and performance issues. With a rolling release like PCLinuxOS, updates can come late due to extensive testing before they are rolled out to the repositories.

If you really want the latest and greatest a distro on a scheduled release cycle may be a better route to take.

7. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

every Linux distribution required some tweaks so PCLinuxOS 2010.12 as per flash crash if you close running youtube movie (ie close while playing a movie) mostly in firefox it crash

many Linux distribution flash crash also happen in fedora 64 bit open suse 64 bit mint Debian ........some 32 bits including as well ........etc

when video stopped and closed properly never happen crash in any distro at least for me

as per default server in pclinux yes it give trouble if you change server it rocks

so far i like pclinuxos gnome very much yes i agree in default it has some problems which should not be there in gnome but not a bad distro pretty stable here in my case i test it on laptop/desktop i3 chip and core 2 duo with intel motherboard running great on intel hardware :))

compiz i didnt test or like to use myself so cannot say about it

but after installation update and tweaks i cannot say its a bad distro

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.