PCLinuxOS-2007 and the ease of backing up

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by zapjb, Jun 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

This is way cool!

I just followed the simple instructions here. And in less than 30 minutes it's done.
    http://www.pclinuxos.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=26688.msg204410#new

I'm posting this from my own personalized LiveCD (DVD)!!!

Amazing!!!

There is NO HDD in my computer right now. Tee hee. And my LiveCD is EXACTLY the same as my customized installed version.

I have a HDD drawer system & both drawers are empty.

2. Arup

Arup Guest

Live CD is good for testing, but its way slower than HDD and of course, puts severe load on your optical drive being used.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2007
  3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I'm just awed how easy this was. Compared to doze.

4. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

You can leave your PC at home, take the LiveCD with you where ever you go, use it on any PC.

Grandmas house, work, friends.......

The best HD image system going and its free :)

Only slower during boot and first access of programs, once things load into memory its faster than HD. Also depending on LiveCD size and how much memory the PC has, you can boot with the "Copy to Ram" option and the whole CD-DVD loads to memory. Doesn't get any faster than that ;)

Doesn't put any more stress on optical drive than playing audio or video CD-DVD's does.

zapjb. you're well on your way in that so called Linux learning curve. :cool:

5. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Thanks FG. Just goes to show. Old dogs can learn. :D

6. Arup

Arup Guest

If you have 2GB RAM, copy 2 ram option is fine, for general use, running from Live CD is not a viable option, HDD is faster and more reliable.

7. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I've been running linux from a flashdrive with great success. I'll definitely have to see if i can get pclinux 2007 to do the same.

8. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Running pclinuxos here inside virtualbox from a cd I made. And, lo and behold, my printer actually works - except it prints in green and can't seem to fix that detail yet. Haven't looked at all the options but think that can be fixed.

It's the only one of seven different distros, so far, that recognizes my printer. As a result, it's a serious candidate to remove MS from my box. I'm downloading more in days to come and will spend a couple of weeks with each before deciding anything.

9. eniqmah

eniqmah Registered Member

And our ears.

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

It's nice to try out many of them, let's you see just how good some of the best ones really are. PCLOS is my favorite and choice at the moment, after 9 months or so of testing quite a few of them.

11. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

My last serious adventure with Linux was 7 or 8 yrs ago, and it turned me off Linux completely. I completely got lost with the command line nonsense. It reminded me of the bad old DOS days. Now, with VirtualBox, I've given it another try and it's amazing how far Linux has come in those few years.

Realistically, just staying with the desktop apps, it's comparable to Windows in many respects. Some things won't work, or I can't make them work, such as gaim which is supposed to work with icq (does anybody use that anymore?), yahoo, etc, but overall most desktop apps in KDE, gnome, or whatever aren't any more difficult to run than Windows - and that's what I like. I just want a user friendly desktop with point and click ability.

Wilders needs a Linux forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.