PCLINUX 2009.1 KDE

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by wat0114, Apr 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Is anyone using this? I was a big fan of '07 and I love what I see in this '09 version! This is the Dog's Bollocks! :D It's early still but I notice certain favorite apps just work properly right out of the box. Too cool :thumb:

2. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, wat0114

Yes. :thumb:

Take Care
    TheQuest :cool:

3. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Good to see, theQuest! How are you liking it? So far I've seen a few minor glitches only but no show stoppers. I've tried many distros but keep getting drawn back to PCLinux. For whatever reason it just seems to be the "right" fit for me :)

4. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

While my "big update" came with some minor problems, the fresh install is humming along perfectly. There has also been a steady stream of updates since the 2009 iso release, so someone has been busy.

5. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

Based on its technical merits alone, PCLOS is a great distro (especially if you want something that just works), but I am disappointed in the way the distro is ran. Many of the core packagers and maintainers have left the project (and rightfully so, imo). And the forums are a bit draconian.

6. steve161

True, but I am personally not seeing the effects of the exodus (yet). We'll see what happens. I had that in mind when I mentioned the frequency of updates. As far as the forums, I prefer the Wilders method: warning, snip, or delete. No need for drama.

7. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I got back on the Linux train a few months ago. PCLOS2009 wasn't ready & PCLOS didn't work with my wifi ootb. So I went with OpenSUSE. Not bad but very counter intuitive just like all other distros I've looked at.

But I'm back to joy & serenity with PCLOS2009.1 which works with my wifi ootb. :D

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  8. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

There was a recent review I read on PCLos 2009 where a number of people are miffed about its KDE desktop enviro still on version 3.5, and not the recent 4.x versions. Apparently the PCLos team stuck with the older 3.5 because they felt 4.x is still too unstable, so the themes are outdated and generally behind the times. Personally I don't care; performance matters more to me especially with the older hardware I've got, so I don't want my machine laboring to carry extra baggage. PCLos seems to run pretty snappy for me.

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

2 things I'd like to see in PCLOS and I'd choose it over others in a second. One, as you say, KDE 4.2.x. And two, an x64 version. Unfortunately, we probably won't see either for a long time. A year or so ago though, PCLOS was my first distro and first choice for quite some time. I loved it. I'm sure it is still great.

10. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

No, you wont see x86_64 PCLOS for a long, long time. The devs there (what is left of them) have stated on the forums that they have zero interest in 64 bit. The forums were full of arguments about this for a while.

There was an unofficial project to create a community remaster 64 bit version, but it never got very far because the guy in charge had to finish college.

I wouldn't expect to see a 64 bit PCLOS for at least 2-3 years. This is one reason I left it for Gentoo.

11. steve161

It may be a fairly long wait for kde 4 also. All that Tex promised was that kde4 will eventually become available in the repos when all the stability and dependency issues have been addressed. As per his policy, no time frame was given.

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

'Tis a shame, x64 is the future... and the now for that matter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.