PCAV Free doesn't recognize Nvidia files??

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JoeBlack40, Sep 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

You are right,it doesn't help me at all,but for me Panda Cloud is the ONLY AV with this old issue.I tried all (yes,all) the AV's out here and i didn't encounter this problem.Work with them?How?I provided what PBust asked,what more can i do?

2. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

It's difficult I know, and I hope pbust can come up with some answers soon because it doesn't look good at this point in time.

3. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

:p
    Anyway this happened to me last year. Haven't had any such problems these days. May be some bug still exists.

4. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Can you give the file path of those files that were deleted? I am curious if it has something to do with the file location or not? I have never had this happen to me.

5. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

Pointing out another's like behavior is no justification for the behavior. Working with the vendor in this case would be they implement an expert mode where an alert would be generated and the user can decide to whack or allow. I understand the importance of presenting an experience that isolates the mainstream user from all that nasty computer stuff but the lack of an expert mode is unacceptable. And judging by content here AND the Panda forums, it's not even on their radar.

My "me too" comment was inclusive of Divenow's "I had similar experiences with PCAV last year." That means "me too" for "last year."

The XP default path C:\Program Files\Windows NT\ in a subfolder named NetTools. The utilities are stand-alone executables circa 2002 but still amazingly useful. The false positive(s) are not an issue with me nor was their whacking by PCAV (my backups are extensive). The complete and absolute absence of user intervention is.

6. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I was looking at possibly installing PCAV on my desktop at some point as I thought my present Av solution might be starting to show it's age. However events here and with another Av mentioned in this thread in regards to auto deleting without recovery has me doing a rethink about that. A screw up on my netbook where it is at the moment, I could live and deal with, but on my primary machine, no way. I would try it with the options you mentioned above but not without for the present.

7. JoeBlack40

Here you are.

Edit.Sorry,wrong reply,as you asked Lodbrok that question.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  8. carat

carat Guest

It should be possible to restore every file - Panda please change that auto-delete crap ... :'(

9. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

"Autocopy to Quarantine, then clean/delete" and "Ask before submit" options should be added. Not all users like the default settings of auto-delete and auto-submit!

10. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

I will be honest, I do have no idea why that's happening. I have done a lot of malware testing and every time it removes the malware it has always gave me the ability to restore the file. Every time I have had it FP on some good malware removing tools I have restored it fine. That's why I was wondering if it has something to do with the permissions on the files it was removed.

Now for the auto-submit, thats part of the cloud it's not really possible. I think every single cloud product does that.

11. JoeBlack40

The same mistake BitDefender did with the 2012 version.It's so hard to implement such an option as all the AV's have,but in different way more or less of course...?After a scan the user should have options like what to do with the detections,or at least settings about what happens with the files detected after a scan...

Well,it seems that i'm (and that Nvidia file) the exception from the rule.

12. pbust

pbust AV Expert

OK we found the problem. It was a bug of the suspicious file submission system. We're deactivating the submission system until we fix it so that it shouldn't happen again.

13. toxinon12345

Files containing a threat must be kept in quarantine until the user decides to delete it, and not based in conditions such as if the file is detected heuristically or by signatures, or if the file was already submitted.

14. toxinon12345

That default auto-submit setting can be kept, but some users want to approve which files must be submitted and which not.

15. The Hammer

That's so reasonable I don't see how anyone can argue with it.

16. The Hammer

Still you can see what can happen with the lack of a safeguard as toxinon12345 has indicated.

17. JoeBlack40

Thank you for the information,i will restore later a clean snapshot and i will try again PCAV.But for users (well,a part of them) sake,you should consider to implement in the next version a copy to quarantine before any action setting.

18. The Hammer

Good idea, and probably the easiest to implement.

19. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

:thumb:

20. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Registered Member

Glad to hear :) :thumb:

21. fblais

fblais Registered Member

Hi.
    So, was this bug fix yet?

Best regards,
    François

22. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

Agreed. I asked for this as a feature in the 1.9 beta thread, but was pointedly ignored.

It would be my main criticism of PCAV. I've not accidentally encountered a malware file in years, so it's a pain when PCAV requires me to go into the interface, click on the bin, then undelete FPs each time. Other than that, it's great, unobtrusive AV.

It's most painful when I've seen the 'neutralised' message popup in the middle of building a WinPE disc - requiring one to undelete the files, and start the long build process all over again. I'm going to do one over the weekend, so I'll see if it's still an issue.

23. gugarci

gugarci Registered Member

I agree 100% and I was getting ready to try PCAV. I want to be able to decide for myself what action my AV will take when it finds anythings. I've been discussing this in the PCAV 1.5 thread.

24. JoeBlack40

It seems that it's fixed alright.Tried this morning Panda Cloud again and after a C drive scan (which btw,was painfully sloooow),the Nvidia files were safe.:D
    Nothing fishy in Panda's log.

25. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

You weren't ignored, I noticed your comment and did probably everyone else. Take note that pbust is a busy guy, he is the SRA, a father, an admin on the Community Forum, and voluntarily came to Wilders. He tries to answer most (if not all) of everyone's questions. I hope this came out as nice as possible..

This "user-input option" topic has been discussed before, so you may be able to find the discussion here and on the Community Forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.