PC Would Not Boot But Is OK Now.

Discussion in 'hardware' started by TheKid7, Oct 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I just moved two of the three PC's to another room. I hooked everything up on both PC's. When I turned one of the PC's it booted up OK but there was no sound. I looked in the Device Manager and there was no mention of the Sound Blaster sound card and there was no volume in the system tray. I booted into the BIOS to make sure that the onboard sound was still showing disabled and it was.

Upon reboot the PC would not boot. There was no signal to the monitor and no hard drive activity. I tried a few more times but the Reset button did not seem to work. I then tried several times to boot a Seagate SeaTools Boot CD. After several Resets I was able to get to SeaTools but the mouse would not work and the PC seemed to be locked up. I tried a few more times with the same results. In desperation I decided to remove the CD and try to boot to Windows and it worked and the Sound Blaster card was showing up now and I have sound. I tried a couple of more reboots and everything seems to be normal.

What do you make of this problem? Maybe it is a hint of a soon system failure? Of and on in the past the PC would sometimes frequently lose signal to the monitor. Not sure if this is the PC or Monitor.

Thank you.

2. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Sounds like a motherboard problem if all of your peripherals were malfunctioning at some time or another.

3. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

My PC has really started acting up today. I powered up the PC and started the Login process when the PC began restarting every few seconds as if it were power cycling. I turned it off with the Power Supply switch and went through the longer than normal task of switching out the power supply (There is a cross-bar which blocks the power supply so that you have to remove the motherboard to change out the power supply.).

Upon startup with the new power supply the PC immediately began restarting every few seconds in the same manner as with the other power supply.

Questions:

1. Could it be the case power-on switch? If so, is it feasible to change it out. (It is an Antec case).

2. Would a bad motherboard cause symptoms like this?

3. What other things could be causing this problem?

Thank you.

4. CircleGirl

CircleGirl Registered Member

Some computers don't like to moved about and act strange for a while. Multiple reboots often cure the problem. It may not be an indication of a catastrophic event to come, but may only be an indication that your cables need to be reseated 'just so'.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.