PC World Review of Nod32

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Sender, May 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JAB

JAB Registered Member

You know, part of this debate reminds me of a recent conversation I had with someone about anti-x

Him: Well, I've been running Trend Micro for the past two years, and it's found everything that I've gotten.

Me: No, it found everything it found...

Arguing that personal experience with a product didn't yield a detection and thus you've been protected is a bit optimistic. I run Trend Micro too and have never found an active infection. Check any test web site; Trend is the worst performing mainstream A/V out there. Should I feel safe?

/jab

2. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

Does it really matter? It seems to me that both KAV6 and NOD32 are highly acclaimed and offer excellent overall protection. I tried both before finally selecting NOD32, not because of any noticeable superiority over KAV6, but the latter brought about some compatibility issues with Acronis TI, and NOD32 didn't.

3. tsherr

tsherr Registered Member

I managed to find the rather vague description of the test system used:
    "AV-Test.org puts programs through a rigorous analysis; its overall malware detection test pits each app against an almost 900,000-sample "zoo" of viruses, Trojan horses, back doors, and other malware types."

I checked the WildList (yes, you can write it off, but it's as useful as zoo lists) and they have 1,972 viruses listed for February. Now yes, that probably covers a smaller spectrum of malware than this 900K beast, but that's still a big difference. So now we need to know - of the viruses the AVs missed, how many were relevant? I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that of a list of 900K malware, most of them aren't active anymore and are there for show. Taking it a step further, that means that the testing of definitions against an inflated list is iffy at best - what kind of AV is going to haul around a definition list of 900K malware? I'm betting none - Sophos, which is one of the top rated "corporate" versions and very fast on the draw according VirusTotal, only carries 240,880 definitions as of this writing.

Another interesting tidbit - according to www.viruslist.com - "However, in today’s wired world, there’s a higher risk of being hit by new malware, with around 80% of new malicious programs being found in the field, not just in so-called ‘zoo’ collections." Now they are lumping the Wildlist in with this, but I'd argue that if 80% of malware out there aren't in zoo collections, then is there much value in testing definitions at all?

Of course, the bottom line is this: If your AV is working, great - but the only way to know it's working is to scan with three or four other great AVs.

T

4. tsherr

tsherr Registered Member

Boy, did you nail this on the head. I had the same conversation while teaching a class about computer security. One of the gurus who had come apparently to show everyone how smart he was, announced that AVG Free was the way to go - it's free, blah blah blah, AND he has NEVER had a virus since he put it on. I said, "Don't you mean you haven't found a virus since you put it on?" We agreed to a challenge, he brought his computer into the shop and I did a full scan (with more than just NOD32, btw) and found 309 pieces of malware. He bought NOD32.

T

5. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Why ask me ? I play "a game" started not by me , a "game" supported by other people . They like putting down an excellent product for nothing and rely on test , I play their game here . So not ask them "Does it really matter" , does this test really matter?

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2007
  6. tsherr

tsherr Registered Member

Here's mine with NOD32 at idle.

nod32krn.exe - current: 19,528K - peak: 40,524K
    nod32kui.exe - current 2,380K - peak: 5,328K

Zero CPU load when not scanning.

What is your peak mem usage?

T

7. halcyon

halcyon Registered Member

I can't understand why people are still fighting about which ONE AV is good enough or "best"?

None!

If you are a risky user, you need a multi-AV engine solution regardless of what you use as your primary scanner.

That's why I'm using NOD32+KAV+Bitdefender myself. NOD32 resident and KAV+BD as on-demand scanning automatically everything I download.

And even that is far from being sufficient, but it is decent enough for me and doable on two pieces of software (NOD32+AVK2006) for now (until AVK2006 runs out).

In fact, considering one can get AVS for free (KAV engine), imho most risky NOD32 users should consider putting AVS as resident and NOD32 as on-demand and get the best of both worlds (KAV+NOD32). Unless of course you run HIPS, sandboxes and whatnot.

8. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i dont agree with that,

any high risk surfer just needs ONE av solution,

but if your av keeps failing to catch threats, it clearly isnt good enough so switch to another, i dont believe for 1 second ANYONE needs more than one AV.

regardless of the latest review testing, nod32 is still a great AV that will protect its users, people should not be sooo quick to jump ship.

Last edited: May 10, 2007
  9. joel406

joel406 Registered Member

I am sorry I made 2 mistakes with my previous post.

1. I forgot to mention that the ram I use is DDR2 800

2. When I said June 07, I ment June 2007. i was not told an exact date within that month.

Sorry..

10. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

11. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

Hasn't this been beaten up enough already on that other thread? o_O

[OK, now I see that this thread was moved from the NOD32 forum but still...]

12. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

This ain't the NOD forum though. Oh wait, did this get moved?

13. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I used to subscribe to PC World in the past but did not renew it (it was a free subscription for answering online surveys). Some of the issues were useful, but I think over the years, the information tended to repeat itself. I have used Norton AV on a laptop for over 3 years and the machine has never had a BSOD. There is 512 MB on a 2.4 Ghz processor on it and the system has never ever froze.:thumb:

14. besafe

besafe Registered Member

Well, if you want 100% coverage, you need more than one AV. I didn't see any solution that etected 100%. Of course, I only run one AV and think that most users only need one AV. But I could envision a scenario where some users might need more than one.

15. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Yes, it got moved....

16. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

even multi AV engines dont offer 100%, far from it in my opinion, they just create a hogged system and usually, conflicts.
    but i understand what your trying to say. :)

-------
    this thread is just proof that people jump ship on one test result, been saying this all the time with av-comparatives aswell, where the tests can be used as propaganda, they can also reflect in loss of sales, so are they are good thing?

17. tamdam

tamdam Registered Member

av-comparatives and av-test are independent though, and try to make tests as fair as possible. So although the potential for different configurations and so forth can still significantly alter results, its as close to serious av testing as you'll get. So its an interesting dilemma.

However I think this would be a very different discussion if avira was tested by pc-world, everyone might not be praising kaspersky or norton or bitdefender so much :) And nod32 wouldn't really be as much discussed.

18. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

NOD will always be discussed more than it might merit because it's forum is here and some people like to pop in like their behind the wheel at a drive by shooting to stick out their tongues and shout that their Av program is better and NOD is crap and then speed off. :cautious:

19. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

So, are you saying Ewido will discussed more than it might merit for the same reasons, because Ewido's official forum is here? I see a quite different situation with Ewido, there is dissatisfaction with the product due to lack of a Vista version and the problems with updating but the outcry is still nowhere near as bad as it is with NOD32. We don't see "Ewido sucks" rants daily do we?

This probably isn't the reason, Hammer....No offense intended towards you. :)

20. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Hmm, I think that was meant for me and deserved.:doubt: I am sorry. :( I will say that beta 1a is kicking ass.;)

21. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

No it was not meant for you because I know that if you hate NOD today, you'll love it tomorrow. ;) But as far as Firecats comments go, well , just let me say that Anti trojan/spyware products etc. do not evoke the same passions that Av products do for whatever reason. Also Ewido users aren't as exuberant as NOD users are concerning their program so that figures into it as well.

22. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Actually, if by repetetive you mean general subjects like comparing AVs, ASs, browsers, etc. you're right. The only saving factor is that computer technology changes so fast, it is still kind of new info. As for Norton, some folks will find it works well with their computer, and others will have trouble, but I think generally speaking (in my experience) it can be more trouble than it's worth. :)

23. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

To be quite honest, I don't know what to make of the last test by Av-test.org.
    Am I thrilled by the results of this test for NOD32? No. Questions to ask: Are all 900,000 samples of malware, really malware? Why are the results of AV-test different than those of Av-Comparatives? Should I discount the results of Virus Bulletin?

Why I stay with NOD32:

1. I have used NOD32 for four years plus without an infection.
    2. No problems with updating definitions.
    3. Low resource use.
    4. Program is very stable.

24. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

Same here. :thumb:

25. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Virus Bulletin is just another set of tests. They do enjoy a good reputation among antivirus vendors and their logo is often seen on the various vendors sites. Whether you agree or disagree with the tests in general is a personal matter.
    Virus Bulletin did reverse a failure to a pass in the latest set of tests.

http://eset.com/threat-center/blog/?p=62

Last edited: May 10, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.