PC Tune-Up Utility

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Someone, Jun 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Hi

Does anyone know of a free one-click tune-up utility not including Glary Utilities and Advanced Windows Care Personal?

Thanks

2. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

3. TVH

TVH Registered Member

TuneUp Utilities 2008

Ive been using it since 2005. IMO another great piece of software

4. Someone

I did say "free". Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

5. Someone

6. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Someone you really are an optimist. You want a utility that has disk and registry cleaning, defrags ( with or without file placement ?) and something else and it has to be one click and free ? o_O :D :rolleyes:

7. Someone

Well...hopefully...that's why I was asking Wilders:D :cool: ;)

8. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

With JkDefragGUI you can: 1- Clean disk (it can use CCleaner or not, your option) 2- Defrag disk 3- Defrag Registry (hives/pagefile).

To clean the registry you can use MV RegClean and/or Eusing Registry cleanner. Both reliable.

9. nzchris

nzchris Registered Member

10. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I use the ashampoo WinOptimizer 4 on Vista Home Premium and am pleased with the way it works, you can view all it finds before any cleaning or deletion. for free it is a good value for sure. it usually cost $39.99

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  11. Someone

12. Someone

I've heard that defragging the registry is potentially dangerous and does not speed up the computer at all.

I've also heard that Eusing Free Registry Cleaner is very aggressive.

Is this true?

Thanks

13. L815

L815 Guest

Well if you ever decide to pay for one, I'd recommend Ace Utilities. You can also just use the trial.

Other than that, I only have used CCleaner and Glary.

14. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

for your own health stay away from these dangerous stuff,a better way to keep your registry smooth is with ERUNT and NTRegopt from Lars Hederer.

Registry is not much affected (in terms of functioning and speed) by garbage left from uninstalls so leave it alone. :)

15. Someone

Hi

I heard some people say that even defragging the registry is potentially dangerous, and since it does not give much benefit in speed it should be left alone.

Do you agree with this?

Thanks

16. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

I've never seen a single bit of evidence that having fragmented registry files hurts performance. Registry is not even one single file anyhow...
    And on top of that the registry is a database and is data is not read in a sequential manner, therefore is the type of file to be least affected by fragmentation (where files that are read from beginning to end, eg editing a movie file would be the worst).

17. Someone

Hi

So registry defraggers are not needed?

Thanks

18. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I don't remove any registry, which are installed by legitimate softwares, even when they are reported by registry cleaners for some reason, based on the developper's opinion and each developper has his own opinion about which registry has to be reported or not and that is the main reason why each registry cleaner creates a different report and I verified this by running 20 registry cleaners on a fresh installed Windows with no other softwares installed. Each report was different on the same Windows.

I don't remove any registry because that is MY OPINION, after all they are not created by malware but by good softwares and you never know in advance that one day these unused registries are needed for some reason.
    If you need a registry cleaner, it means that you don't have your system under control anymore and that makes a registry cleaner dangerous.
    You only have to ask yourself, how your registry becomes dirty and then you will know how to keep your registry clean.

As Nickr already said registries are stored in indexed databases, which means that each software can search very fast in registry databases and it won't make any difference if you have hundreds or thousands of registries too many.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  19. Someone

Hi

Thanks for the explanation. But I think if there are errors or BSODs or something, you should still run a registry cleaner right?

Thanks

20. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I don't use registry cleaners anymore, I used Eusing for awhile, but it was useless to me, I uninstalled it.
    You have a different setup, so in some cases you might need one. A registry in a normal system is too vulnerable and needs more protection.
    Incomplete uninstalling of softwares and malware pollute your registry alot.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  21. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

How much benefit it gives may be up for debate but I have used PageDefrag numerous times without a problem.

22. RAD

RAD Registered Member

23. L815

L815 Guest

I've used CCleaner, glary tools, RegSeeker (this one is aggressive & possibly dangerous), RegSupreme, Tuneup Utilities, and Ace Utilities.

Besides RegSeeker, I've never had issues with my pc or registry by using them.
    If you are careful and not blindly deleting registry items you have no idea what they do then that's your fault. But majority of these cleaners detect uninstalled programs and junk that does clog up the registry.

It can be potentially dangerous, but it's not life threatening if you are just aware. Also, I doubt the performance gain is any, I just do it because I like cleanliness.

Defraging the registry is also the dumbest thing I've heard.

From personal opinion, I don't think tuneup utilities is worth anything more than any other product. You can do most if not all the same things with other freeware. I'd suggest spending the money only if you want everything in one package, but if you want just the basic things like cleaning junk, registry cleaning, and defragging, just stick with the freeware!

24. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

The only speed up I've noticed was when I cleaned the registry of a friend's computer that had no maintenance for over a year and then the speed increase only was noticeable at start up. I figure, if you keep regular maintenance and properly uninstall programs, any registry leftovers will not be a problem.

SourMilk out

25. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.