PC TOOLS Internet Security 2008 - 20% off

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by C.S.J, Feb 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

Last edited: Feb 24, 2008
  2. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

How are this suite compared to others? It looks interesting indeed.

3. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

well, i guess its basically:

Registry Mechanic
    Spyware Doctor
    Firewall Plus
    Virusbuster Antivirus
    Spam Monitor

-------
    but no Threatfire?

and what about desktop maestro and file recover, are those built into the suite too?

more info needed...... :blink:

4. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

Last edited: Feb 24, 2008
  5. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

spyware doctor is certainly not mediocre, its detection is 2nd to none.

as for their firewall, that is for leaktests..... and still, its better than alot of others.

the only question, should be the antivirus, but lately... VirusBuster has been improving, so dont dismiss it so quickly. ;)

edit: i havnt actually used this before, but as a package... it seems definatly enough.

6. EliteKiller

Are you speaking from actual usage, or are you going by PCMag's review? I'd wager it's the latter. ;)

People pay me to clean hosed systems, and I assure you that SD is mediocre at best and produces a lot of FP's. I used to have a paid subscription back when v3.2 was in its prime, but a lot has changed over the years and there are much better alternatives that actually clean "hard to remove" malware. The sad thing is PC Tools dupes people with the gimped SD Starter Edition which only contains 1/3 of their definitions.

7. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

personal experience, and not just pcmags review... but practically all reviews/tests for spyware.

YOU may not like it, but that doesnt mean its poor.

8. EliteKiller

On the contrary, simply because YOU like it doesn't mean it's good.

Since YOU claim SD's detection is "2nd to none" are you using it on your own system, your relatives, etc? Be honest....

9. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

no, because i aint a paranoid freak like most of the wilders users.

im simply posting a good discount, if you dont like it... tough ****.

10. EliteKiller

....and I am simply posting my opinions on a public forum, and if you don't like them....tough ****. :) Please learn how to debate something instead of taking it personally. You praise SD but do not use their software. :doubt:

11. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yeah, to you it does.

but i think there are more than 1 good software packages available, not just the one a person purchases.

12. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

To come with an optinion, PC Tools Spyware Doctor is good. But imo, it uses to much resources, and a free app is as good as SD.

It isn't bad.

13. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I'd say a 100 % discount is warranted. Plus some extra money to pay for qualified staff to fix your computer.

I wouldn't recommend buying ANY Pctools programs.

And for those who do not know, if you buy something from them you're automatically enrolled in their auto-renewal !

14. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Not even threatfire?

15. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

are you sure? it's stated so on their policy? i guess it must be a buying option for customers..

16. Giwex

Giwex Registered Member

I tried personallu few PC TOOLS products on few systems (3) and found not particularly good, there are better alternatives out there in my opinion. The only excellent product, and installed in my system, is Threatfire

17. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

PC Tools neither created nor developed ThreatFire. That job was and is still done by Novatix, who was acquired by PC Tools last year or so.

In fact, short of Spyware Doctor and perhaps some of their other miscellaneous utilities, most of their technology was bought. The antivirus module, for instance, came from VirusBuster, while the firewall came from LnS, through they did modify and improve these two programs afterwards.

18. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Modify? Yes. Improve? I hope so but... remains to be seen IMO.

19. Fly

Fly Registered Member

It happens automatically. That's my experience.

I know almost nothing about Threatfire. Does Pctools make it ?

I simply wouldn't want to do business with the company !

(VERY bad experiences)

20. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Threatfire (TF) used to be known as Cyberhawk.

Cyberhawk was produced by some VERY talented people at Novatix.com. PCTools bought them: lock, stock, & barrel. AFAIK all of those same, VERY talented people now work for PCTools & still produce TF. TF is a superb behavior blocker -- one of THE premier free security apps available.

21. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

I will say that TF and FW+ are excellent products, and I use both.

Spyware Doctor, while not my cup of tea personally, is a decent product, and better than most. I have had no issues with the last two iterations, although some experience issues while running it RT. I don't run a antispyware RT, so have had no issues with it.

The AV is rough, but is coming along. I am keeping an eye on it to see if it improves. There are better free alternatives at the present time, but I have installed it on XP and Vista boxes, and it works tolerably. Have no guage other than (VirusBuster) published reports as to it's effectiveness against viruses.

I have used Spam Monitor extensively, and it is basically an easier to use version of SpamPal, and uses much of the same 'guts'. I wish it was more flexible, but there are worse alternatives.

I use Registry Mechanic, as well. Works fine for me. I personally believe it is *less* obtrusive than products such as RegSeeker (which I also use), and have not had issues with it either. It does it's thing and moves on.

Full disclosure: I resell the PC Tools line. Like any line of products, there are some that are better than others. ;)

22. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

I would not take it if it was 100% off! Their products are bloatware on their own, messed up my PC 5 times, imagine them tied together. The software i like best from PCtools, which is a tiny bit, is threatfire, but where has it gone?

23. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

Thank you. I tired Spyware Doctor a year ago or slow and my my crawled. I tried it awhile back with the latest version and my pc crawled. I have done a good study on both my laptop and desktop. It seems like any paid antispyware slows your pc down (Spyware Doctor,Counterspy,Spy Sweeper). Frankly I think free is just as good. SuperAntiSpyware,Spyware Terminator and Spybot are just as good as SD.

24. kinwolf

kinwolf Registered Member

Still there, still free.

25. Kielty

Kielty Registered Member

You can now get this for 12 months free subscription if you look hard enough on the internet (can't post the link, against the rules you understand!)

Now if you get 12 months for free it must be worth a look...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.